Thread: Start Farr

Sophomore

Start Farr

[Not to be confused with Bart Starr]

He is our most productive big man.
    He has a great attitude.
    He is never an embarrassment.
    He deserves it.

I don't buy into this 6th man spark off the bench. Start the best lineup.

Wear blue at games!
    Birdman'71'76

I agree, but soon you will be barraged with the "its working well so why change it now" crowd. Good luck!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I agree, but soon you will be barraged with the "its working well so why change it now" crowd. Good luck!
    Its working well, so why change it now!!! He's a great spark off the bench!

I know that logically it would make the most sense to start the 5 players that are playing the best but I like the idea of subbing in a fresh, starter-caliber big man a few minutes into the game. While the other team is subbing in back-ups, we are bringing a guy as good or better than the guy replacing him. I think doing this wears on our opponents over the course of the game. Four minutes against a fresh Reynolds, then 4 against a fresh Farr, and so on and so on, I think it just exhausts the opposing team and I like the strategy right now. The other team either has to play their best big for longer minutes than they should or sub in a backup that can't compete with Farr/Reynolds.

Wojo's comments about X after the game by the way were awesome. He mentioned that Farr is an absolute beast (and for the "start Farr" group, he said Farr could start on any team in the conference). He also said he's played on national championship teams and championship-caliber teams, and that Xavier is a national championship contender.

Could Jalen handle the ego hit? Also, is Farr really going to get any more minutes if he does start? If he's playing the same minutes just keep bringing him off the bench. If it will help get an additional 2-3 minutes out of him then maybe consider it.

I think that this is a fluid situation depending on what buttons CMack feels he needs to push with Jalen. Some games, he wants to get Jalen in to start to make sure his head's in the game early- like his start and initial slam dunk against Marquette. Sometimes they don't want him to overreact early because he's so pumped that he'd get 2 fouls in the first 4 minutes. It certainly is an interesting, but not necessarily a negative situation, but it sure would be easier if Jalen was more consistent in his approach.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I trust our coach to do what is best.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I trust our coach to do what is best.
    I second your trust. It's a stretch to be suggesting changes the way things are going now.

In that case, start Macura over Abel. Remy hasn't done anything the past 2-3 games.

But seriously, we're 16-1. Mack isn't and shouldn't change a thing right now.

Jalen needs to be in to get that all-important jump ball to start the game.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.