Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Dayton's last 2 hires were Archie Miller and Brian Gregory. Archie was a home run hire. Gregory was a rising star hire from the Tom Izzo tree. He may not have knocked it out of the park, but a program could do much, much worse (many do). I'd probably call him a single that, if he had hustled out of the box, could have been stretched to a double. Not great but he got on base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I disagree on Gregory. Purnell brought UD back from the depths of the O'Brien era and at least made them respectable. Gregory really didn't do much, and I can't recall a player who was better when he left than he was when he got there. He absolutely ruined Sean Finn. 2 NCAA tournaments in 8 years - 1 in his last 7 years.

UD has a history of picking the wrong assistant coach - first O'Brien (Pittino assistant) then Gregory.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Georgia Tech has to now be asking if it's 2018 yet. Mike Bobinski needs to put Gregory out of his misery and make Archie Miller an offer he can't refuse.

Eh, Georgia Tech is kind of a shitty job. Archie should do better or wait.

I agree with that. He wasn't so much a bad hire as a bad retention. Does anyone know when they gave him his contract extension? I'm guessing they "paid the man" and it bit them in the ass. But I'm curious when and for how much they mortgaged their future.

After 5 years on Tom Izzo's bench (in which they advanced to the Final 4 three times, winning once), Gregory made the NCAA Tourney in his 1st year on the job at Dayton (finishing 1st in conference with a 12-4 record, 24-9 overall). He then had a borderline respectable 2nd year (10-6 in conference but a horrible OOC left them just 18-11 with no post-searon berth).

Then the wheels pretty much fell off. Except for their 2010 "run" where they went 11-5 in conference (27-8 overall) and advanced to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney, they drastically under-performed.

I hadn't looked that closely at his numbers before my prior post. He wasn't a single that should have been stretched into a double. He was a hard swing by Dayton, a nubber to third, and a late throw to first resulting in a close single.
    Last edited by LA Muskie; 01-29-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Georgia Tech has to now be asking if it's 2018 yet. Mike Bobinski needs to put Gregory out of his misery and make Archie Miller an offer he can't refuse.
    Archie will end up somewhere much better than GaTech (sorry BoBo...)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Yes, but unless Chris Mack has a brother in coaching, Dayton will have no idea where to find the next homerun.
    I know we're polar opposites on football, but that is damn funny.
    X A V I E R

Delusional cryer fans

I agree with that. He wasn't so much a bad hire as a bad retention. Does anyone know when they gave him his contract extension? I'm guessing they "paid the man" and it bit them in the ass. But I'm curious when and for how much they mortgaged their future.

After 5 years on Tom Izzo's bench (in which they advanced to the Final 4 three times, winning once), Gregory made the NCAA Tourney in his 1st year on the job at Dayton (finishing 1st in conference with a 12-4 record, 24-9 overall). He then had a borderline respectable 2nd year (10-6 in conference but a horrible OOC left them just 18-11 with no post-searon berth).

Then the wheels pretty much fell off. Except for their 2010 "run" where they went 11-5 in conference (27-8 overall) and advanced to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney, they drastically under-performed.

I hadn't looked that closely at his numbers before my prior post. He wasn't a single that should have been stretched into a double. He was a hard swing by Dayton, a nubber to third, and a late throw to first resulting in a close single.
    I believe Gregory's contract ran through 2018, and the buyout was really expensive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Eh, Georgia Tech is kind of a shitty job. Archie should do better or wait.
    Archie will end up somewhere much better than GaTech (sorry BoBo...)
    We can all dream, can't we?

I have always had a soft spot for Dayton. Used to follow and root for all the local teams. I would love to see NKU do well for instance.

Now that we don't play them it is even easier to root for Dayton. They have been a fun team to watch, especially their tournament success.

I think that Archie is fantastic and he is only getting better. I think that Dayton can be a National Program in the A-10. They have the opportunity to do what we did and become the Flagship.

Being the Flagship of the A-10 Conference was pretty sweet, and I enjoy watching Dayton's continued success. I think Archie is finding it easier and easier to recruit, and every year his pay is going to go up. A million bucks goes far in Dayton. Archie can be a God in Dayton. They have one of the best fan bases in college ball. 13,000 screaming fans. A packed UD arena is a great recruiting tool.

I know that we don't play them right now and we might not for the next few years. I am fine with that. But if we did play them it would be a great ticket to have and a huge game. Fans want to see games like that. We got to play them on a neutral court this year and they are the best statistical victory on our schedule measured by the RPI.

Could Archie stay in Dayton? Sure. He could make a lot of money with incredible job security. He would be immensely popular and the toast of the town. If recruiting keeps up he could get that program on auto-pilot. Gee, I wonder where he could look for a model? Right down I-75 at Xavier!

I loved our time in the A-10. At the time it was the best thing that ever happened to us. Dayton can rule that league. We had a Player of the Year in that league, and we watched at two other A-10 programs had Player of the Year as well. You can recruit in that league. You can be ranked #1 in the nation in that league. You can get a 1 seed and go to the Final Four in that league, and dare to dream to win it all.

Dayton is in a fantastic situation. I remember Calipari at Memphis saying "be careful what you wish for" when Cincinnati left for the Big East. Cincinnati hasn't done much since then, but Calipari was taking Memphis to the National Championship game.

Like I said, you don't have to look far to see what they could do, just look at us. Look at Gonzaga. Look at Memphis. Look at what UC used to do in a high mid league. Look at what Butler did in the Horizon. Can Archie Miller do that at Dayton? Absolutely.

And why not? And why should I not root for that? Good for them. And when we do play them, it would behove us both to be National Programs.

We have played more NCAA games than any other program not to have made the Final Four. Yet all these years I have been dreaming about the Final Four. Am I delusional? Probably. Fan is indeed short for fanatic. Why criticize Flyer Fans for living the dream? And here we sit on the precipice of potential greatness, and my delusions of grandeur grow ever grander. I want the TITLE! Shouldn't Dayton fans want the same thing?

LETS GO FLYERS!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

I wish people would stop trusting the Internet and IRS reporting when it comes to coaches' comp. Sometimes it's accurate. Sometimes it's not. My understanding is that Mack's is pretty close (but not 100% accurate) because most of his pay/benefits flow through XU or affiliates. That's probably not the case for Archie. Because while I very much doubt he makes $2.5mm, I equally doubt he makes $650k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see your point, and I am sure the listed $692k I listed as his reported compensation is probably a bit lower the sum of his total compensation. But, you have to realize that the period of that salary was from 7/1/2013 thru 6/30/2014 . They made the Elite 8 2 months prior to that period end date. I was not stating that is what his current salary is, which your post seems to suggest. I am sure he makes close to $1M-$1.2M now. But prior to his Elite 8 run, he hadn't done anything noteworthy to command a salary higher than $700k. Hell, that was his first NCAA tournament appearance at Dayton.