Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    What did the President do that was racist or encouraged racism? This is a VERY slippery slope.

Missouri Football Players Refusing to Play

Also they're having a white out for the BYU game.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It is events like this that makes me hate twitter and facebook. Apparently there are now only 2 options on every issue and everyone must pick a side. The amount of crazy being spewed on those sites and newspaper comments sections by both sides is just disheartening (and occasionally comical).
    Comical?? Yes. Funny?? No.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    Also they're having a white out for the BYU game.
    That would be awesome.

But you've always got a white-out when you play BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    What did the President do that was racist or encouraged racism? This is a VERY slippery slope.
    I don't think anyone can honestly say he did either. A few dumb kids did pretty some dumb things. That's unfortunate, but it happens. Not sure what the hell the president could have done? But, you know, "white privilege."
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by OH.X.MI View Post
    "white privilege."
    You know what kind of privilege I wish I had? Division I athlete (particularly a revenue sport) privilege on a college campus.

Supporting Member
    [QUOTE=STL_XUfan;517352]The race issue was just the tip of the iceberg. The calls to have have Wolfe removed had been growing louder over the past few months due to several moves that upset the faculty and student body. This includes terminating the graduate assistants health care 1 day before the start of semester without prior notice and throwing Mizzou into the middle of the planned parenthood debate by terminating the nursing and medical schools ties with the local planned parenthood on little to no notice. I think without the amalgamation of these issues, you wouldn't have seen this blow up as it did.

There were other things as you noted here, but if you think the football players really gave a crap about the planned parenthood decisions or healthcare, then I don't know what to tell you. The reason this started getting pub is because some of the football players threatened to not play if he was dismissed...so Missouri was forced into a corner that they could not get out of or at least deemed they could not get out of. I think The university proved to be a bunch of cowards in this instance, but if they would have called the players' bluff, that could have effected recruiting for years and years. Yeah it would have sucked to have a horrible football and basketball team (though right now we have both), but really it would have been cool for the university to come to a more logical conclusion than fire the president because the football team said so.

I kind of wish that Missouri said "fine don't play....you no longer have a scholarship so your tuition for the fall semester is due"
    Last edited by Xville; 11-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    There were other things as you noted here, but if you think the football players really gave a crap about the planned parenthood decisions or healthcare, then I don't know what to tell you. The reason this started getting pub is because some of the football players threatened to not play if he was dismissed...so Missouri was forced into a corner that they could not get out of or at least deemed they could not get out of. I think The university proved to be a bunch of cowards in this instance, but if they would have called the players' bluff, that could have effected recruiting for years and years. Yeah it would have sucked to have a horrible football and basketball team (though right now we have both), but really it would have been cool for the university to come to a more logical conclusion than fire the president because the football team said so.

I kind of wish that Missouri said "fine don't play....you no longer have a scholarship so your tuition for the fall semester is due"
    Isn't that how the game of "chicken" works? Someone blinks or we get mutually assured destruction. The University blinked, whether that is right or wrong, I have no idea. I am so far removed from campus (and when I was there I was a there I was a grad student had no real connection to the regular campus) that I can't really form an informed opinion on the matter.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

So, will the "Irate 8" be asking the UC Men's football team to stop playing unless Santa Ono resigns? Is this what we can begin to expect from college teams? I think Missouri should have asked when the Missouri football players were going to START playing, rather than fire the President because they threatened to not play.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

[QUOTE=Xville;517364][b]
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    The race issue was just the tip of the iceberg. The calls to have have Wolfe removed had been growing louder over the past few months due to several moves that upset the faculty and student body. This includes terminating the graduate assistants health care 1 day before the start of semester without prior notice and throwing Mizzou into the middle of the planned parenthood debate by terminating the nursing and medical schools ties with the local planned parenthood on little to no notice. I think without the amalgamation of these issues, you wouldn't have seen this blow up as it did.

Easily said, but nearly impossibly done.

For starters, this is a potential PR nightmare, especially if there are legitimate issues of racism.

It would have also created a situation to where most of them could have left without penalty, and been granted a missed semester. They would have lost their entire team.

Last but not least, bye-bye FBS. You have to average 76 scholarships over a two year period, and if Mizzou just suddenly decided pull all of them, they would be reclassified down to the FCS level. It would take about four years to get the average back up to where it needed to be. The SEC would have loved that. The contractual damages would have been enormous. And...for what exactly??

Again, what sequence of events led to this?? It's a little presumptuous to just say the kids are overreacting if you don't even know what they're reacting to. Maybe they are overreacting. But....maybe not. At the very least, you have to admit that this isn't normal.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White