Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    We should have the civil right to flog any parent who would send their kid to one.
    This is the funniest part of the entire thread. Well done Go!
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I think we can develop great soccer players in the US without creating soccer player manufacturing machines. We need more and better coaches..
    Better coaches need to be paid. The only "full time" soccer coaches in the US are college coaches. There are club DOC's and guys who coach 5 different teams, but the only people who are able to make a career out of coaching one team are college and MLS coaches. That's why there needs to be a fundamental change at the youth level.

Why can't creating soccer player manufacturing machines? We do it for every other sport.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    Better coaches need to be paid. The only "full time" soccer coaches in the US are college coaches. There are club DOC's and guys who coach 5 different teams, but the only people who are able to make a career out of coaching one team are college and MLS coaches. That's why there needs to be a fundamental change at the youth level.
    How is this different than basketball?

U.s. Soccer woes: Klinsman ship leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    I generally agree. We suffer from a deficiency of tactic and technique. That is a coaching issue. We also suffer from a lack of creativity. That is a freedom/playing time issue.

I don't think we necessarily need paid, full-time devoted youth coaches, but we need well trained, incentivized (i.e. compensated) coaches.

I think if you could play 1 on 1 soccer on an asphalt surface, we would begin to tap into the athletic potential of millions. Who ever went outside with a couple friends and played actual soccer? You may have kicked at a goal for fun, but actual soccer? People don't do that. Basketball; however, can be played with just two people and you can develop all kinds of creative skills. Football also lends itself to needing only a few to play AND can be played anywhere. Soccer needs a field and people. That's why you don't see "pick up" soccer games happening, but you do see basketball being played and even kids just throwing the football around and running patterns. You can do that on concrete.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I think if you could play 1 on 1 soccer on an asphalt surface, we would begin to tap into the athletic potential of millions. Who ever went outside with a couple friends and played actual soccer? You may have kicked at a goal for fun, but actual soccer? People don't do that. Basketball; however, can be played with just two people and you can develop all kinds of creative skills. Football also lends itself to needing only a few to play AND can be played anywhere. Soccer needs a field and people. That's why you don't see "pick up" soccer games happening, but you do see basketball being played and even kids just throwing the football around and running patterns. You can do that on concrete.
    I actually see pick-up soccer quite a bit at the parks around my house...the only thing is to be quite blunt, they are from other countries than the US. People can say this or that about needing better coaches or better technique or etc etc but the fact of the matter is that soccer isn't cool for the majority of people in this country. If it were cool, that would help a lot. It is cool in a lot of other countries, not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I see kids playing pick up soccer in green spaces every weekend. Not organized by any league. Just kids with some coats on the ground for goal posts and a ball. Literally all you need.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

How can we possibly have a national team capable of beating Costa Rica (population 4.5 million) without ripping 8 year olds away from their families and putting them in soccer academies?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    How can we possibly have a national team capable of beating Costa Rica (population 4.5 million) without ripping 8 year olds away from their families and putting them in soccer academies?!?
    Hey now. It was a home game for us. Those are tough to win!