Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS1 - - Year 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FS1 - - Year 2

Trending in the right direction:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/fox-...r-fun-grows-up

It's too early to say where it's all headed, but our broadcast partner is at least trending in the right direction.

Another strong BE Tournament is needed.

Another year where the BE places 5 in the Tournament would be nice, especially with a deep run in the Tournament once it cranks up.

So far, so good.
    X A V I E R

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    My takeaway from that article is that Fox is getting better in terms of bringing live events onto the network as compared to Year 1, but there's still a lot of improvement needed for the long-term health of the network.

I am very happy with FS1s coverage of the Big East so far, its hard not to be. That being said, I think the channel as a whole could be vastly improved to increase competition with ESPN. I think viewers are growing increasingly tired of ESPNs shift away from sports highlights and towards gossip, rumors, and actions off the field/court. I know many people, myself included, gave FS1 a shot as our primary source for news but my opinion and the opinion of my friends was that it was way too lighthearted. I think they have started to move away from that which is good and would like to continue to see them do so. I think there is definitely a niche to be filled in spending the majority of a show on highlights rather than Lebron/Manziel/Tebow/etc and I'd be glad to watch FS1 daily if they filled that.

I like FS1's programming, but am a little frustrated with the slow growth and the low ratings.

It's not like Fox is a new network. FS1 is merely a new channel on what is already an established network. When ESPN U launched, it was met with instant success because it was part of ESPN. That hasn't happened yet with FS1.

They had the second rated college basketball conference. It had teams in big market cities. Seven teams were in the top 25 at one point during the season, and six made the NCAA Tournament. The ratings should have been better. The Big East did its part. I don't think they could have done any more. I really think they should have at least one conference game a week on the Fox Flagship network as a game of the week. Like CBS's deal with the SEC, they can announce it six days in advance. Put it on Saturday afternoon, and then during that broadcast run promos for the other games on FS1. I don't follow the NFL all that closely, but I know Fox has it. They should be promoting the Big East during those broadcasts as well. I mean, if you have the #2 conference with six NCAA teams, don't you want to sell that more??

I like FS1. I just wish they wouldn't keep it a secret as to how good it is.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Anyone know yet whether FS1 and AT&T settled their dispute? I missed the entire Big East Tournament because of that BS.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    Anyone know yet whether FS1 and AT&T settled their dispute? I missed the entire Big East Tournament because of that BS.
    I don't know, but I hope so, since AT&T now owns DirecTV.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I like FS1's programming, but am a little frustrated with the slow growth and the low ratings.

It's not like Fox is a new network. FS1 is merely a new channel on what is already an established network. When ESPN U launched, it was met with instant success because it was part of ESPN. That hasn't happened yet with FS1.

They had the second rated college basketball conference. It had teams in big market cities. Seven teams were in the top 25 at one point during the season, and six made the NCAA Tournament. The ratings should have been better. The Big East did its part. I don't think they could have done any more. I really think they should have at least one conference game a week on the Fox Flagship network as a game of the week. Like CBS's deal with the SEC, they can announce it six days in advance. Put it on Saturday afternoon, and then during that broadcast run promos for the other games on FS1. I don't follow the NFL all that closely, but I know Fox has it. They should be promoting the Big East during those broadcasts as well. I mean, if you have the #2 conference with six NCAA teams, don't you want to sell that more??

They tried some national games last year and no one watched.

I can't find the exact numbers, but they were really really low which shocked me.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post

Ok, sorry i went back and found it. Here is the link

And here is the pertinent section:

Two Big East games on Fox proper (Providence-St. John’s in late January and Northwestern-Butler in December) have drawn fewer than 400,000 viewers, the lowest audiences ever for college basketball on broadcast television. According to Sports Media Watch, two recent CBS games drew at least one million viewers.

That's even worse than I remember. I'm not sure what the remedy is, but with numbers like that I can't imagine FOX will be showing too many Big East games on the big network. I know there is the need to create buzz around the brand, but when you start playing with record lows that's the kind of thing networks want to shy away from.

One thing I think that might help would be to show some marquee nonconference games. Force fans of teams who are in leagues with ESPN deals to watch a game on FOX. Once you have them watching pimp the shit out of FS1.
    Last edited by casualfan; 08-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post

Two Big East games on Fox proper (Providence-St. John’s in late January and Northwestern-Butler in December) have drawn fewer than 400,000 viewers, the lowest audiences ever for college basketball on broadcast television. According to Sports Media Watch, two recent CBS games drew at least one million viewers.

That's even worse than I remember. I'm not sure what the remedy is, but with numbers like that I can't imagine FOX will be showing too many Big East games on the big network. I know there is the need to create buzz around the brand, but when you start playing with record lows that's the kind of thing networks want to shy away from.

One thing I think that might help would be to show some marquee nonconference games. Force fans of teams who are in leagues with ESPN deals to watch a game on FOX. Once you have them watching pimp the shit out of FS1.
    ok maybe Providence-St Johns isn't horrible but who wants to watch Northwestern-Butler? If they want good ratings maybe they need to show some marquee match ups? I also think that college basketball in general, has lost some of its luster with all of these "new conferences". Some rivalries have been killed and some of these new matchups just aren't that interesting. Plus many of these smaller leagues have lost their "star power" teams to bigger conferences - aka Davidson. Its going to take time for the interest to swell again in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post

Thanks for the info. 300k is pathetic for any game that's on a free to air network. That being said, as was alluded to above, isn't part of the problem the crappy matchups? Allowing Fox to pick the premier game as soon as six days in advance should help with that. We had games where both teams were in the top 25, and the games were buried on premier tier networks. This way, you get the best game on the flagship network.