Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Washington Post coverage

This article also points out that the allegations regarding the 2nd player are ongoing as part of a felony investigation. That is certainly not a good sign for the program. At this point, you really have to wonder how much else has been going on.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Washington Post coverage

This article also points out that the allegations regarding the 2nd player are ongoing as part of a felony investigation. That is certainly not a good sign for the program. At this point, you really have to wonder how much else has been going on.
    I think the attorney for the players brings up an important point. The NCAA probably should have rules in place about the kind of contact players have with coaches, professors, trainers, etc. outside of the normal practice or class times. For example, it should probably be forbidden that a coach be allowed to contact a player and invite said player to his home, out to dinner, out for drinks, etc. when the rest of the team is not present. There should be no one on one contact between a player and an adult employed by the university outside of normal practice and/or office hours. As an adult, I'd set these rules up for myself in any event just to avoid the appearance of impropriety regardless of what my intentions were.

As a volunteer at my daughter's Catholic school, the rules set up by the archdiocese are clear - I'm to have no one on one contact with the other children at the school in my capacity as a volunteer. In my role as a coach or girl scout leader, I cannot transport another child without prior written consent from the child's parents and can not transport that child alone, I cannot give gifts to a child unless I give a gift to all of the children, etc. etc. When my husband coaches an all-girl team in our school's league, he has to have an assistant who is a female and vice versa for an all-boy team. At the school, we cannot be in a room with the door closed with the children without another adult present - even if we are there to assist the teacher in some capacity.

It's annoying to have these rules and have to sit through child/sex abuse classes, etc. because we know we would never do anything to hurt a child. Unfortunately, however, there are people out there who would and while these rules won't eliminate bad people or prevent all bad things from happening, it at least helps other parents to know when something is amiss as well as giving people a sense that something is being done to protect the students.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

You can thank all those sick bastard priests for our current rules and you can also thank our former archbishop for passing the pedophiles around from parish to parish.
    Zip'em Up!

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Congrats to the ex-coach, I suppose, but how could anyone make the following statement with a straight face:

"The judge also found there was no evidence McKey knew the woman was under 21 years old."

Huh?!? This guy recruited the player since middle school and was her fucking college basketball coach, but there's no evidence he knew she was under 21?!?

I couldn't figure out what "21" had to do with anything. Isn't 18 the age that would be critical to those sorts of allegations.

One of the charges was providing alcohol to a minor (under 21).

Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    One of the charges was providing alcohol to a minor (under 21).
    And it seems strange that knowledge should even matter. I was under the impression that it was a misdemeanor to serve a minor regardless of whether you know their age, but maybe that's just for establishments with liquor licenses?
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Congrats to the ex-coach, I suppose, but how could anyone make the following statement with a straight face:

"The judge also found there was no evidence McKey knew the woman was under 21 years old."

Huh?!? This guy recruited the player since middle school and was her fucking college basketball coach, but there's no evidence he knew she was under 21?!?
    My guess is that "there was no evidence presented by the prosecution at trial that McKey knew she wasn't 21." As you know, the judge has to go with the evidence presented at trial.