Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    Nippert is turf for football, but the soccer team is going to have their own surface based on what i read.

Whether their surface will be turf or grass i don't know, but they won't be playing on the same surface.
    I don't think that's possible. I just think they're going to paint over the football lines on soccer gamedays.

Quote Originally Posted by awayfan View Post
    Looks like Cincinnati will be fielding a soccer team playing in the USL starting in the spring of 2016 with games played at Nippert Stadium. I like this announcement and think it will be a nice addition to the sports landscape. Personally i just wished they would have looked to join the NASL, I like the way that league is set up and gives the owners more freedom to spend how they would like.

But with them joining USL hopefully they get put in the division with Pittsburgh so I have a few games I can catch easily

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...town/31495103/
    Would have made a nice rivalry with Indy 11. I do wonder what will happen to USL and NASL. Merger at some point?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    NASL is a Tier 2 league; the USL is a Tier 3 league. I'm not sure how a merger would apply.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    NASL is a Tier 2 league; the USL is a Tier 3 league. I'm not sure how a merger would apply.
    USL is seeking to become recognized on Tier 2 with the NASL. There's a storm coming,
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't think that's possible. I just think they're going to paint over the football lines on soccer gamedays.

A lot of places actually do bring in grass to put on top of the field turf for soccer matches (Georgia Dome and Edward Jones Dome are two that come to mind). However, these are one off events, so I do not know if it is possible to do it in a more permanent manner. Does anyone use Nippert from December to August (I guess the spring game?)?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Would have made a nice rivalry with Indy 11. I do wonder what will happen to USL and NASL. Merger at some point?
    As a Cincinnati native living in Indianapolis (with season tickets to the Eleven), I'm actually happy they are in the USL. Now I have a team to root for in both Tier 2 and Tier 3. Now, if I could only find an MLS team to support...

The NASL has 11 teams in it, and most are losing money. It was started with the idea that they were going to take on the MLS and be as good or better. Most owners were former USL owners. I think the NASL will collapse, and the USL will swallow those franchises.

Personally, I don't think Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3 means anything. They're generic labels and not official classifications. When it comes to its clubs (which are really franchises and not clubs) and the overall structure, the USSF is literally the biggest and most convoluted mess in the entire world. That's not hyperbole.

I kind of mentioned this earlier, but the difference is this. The Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, etc, are NFL Franchises. They have owners, but so do individual McDonalds Restaurant. A big part of those franchises still belong to the NFL, and must abide by certain rules and guidelines. This is why promotion/relegation will never happen in the United States. The MLS has no interest in relegating it's own properties.

Overseas (or anywhere else in the world, really) Arsenal, Man U, Man City, etc are not Premier League Franchises the way the Colts and Bengals are NFL franchises. They do not belong to the Premier League in any way, shape or form. They are independent clubs that play at the highest level of the FA. That's the difference, and it is no small difference. That's why they have promotion/relegation and it works, and why it will never work over here.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    I like soccer, but minor league soccer? Maybe if they are passing out free tickets. From what I hear the tickets would be like $50. At least I thought I saw that. The is a nut for minor league soccer.

I love the promotion/relegation concept, but I can't see any MLS franchise owner giving up their investment like that. If I owned a team I would vote no to that concept. It really would make a lot of games interesting though at the bottom of the table, as teams fought to not be relegated and moved to a minor league. And the league champ of the minor league would go to the big time. That would be exciting, but I can't see it happening.
    $50 is for a season ticket of 15-17 games for students ($3 per game). Most expensive ticket is $595 for the season, or about $40 per game.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

I will definitely check out a game next spring. I think playing in Nippert is the best solution until they build their own stadium (assuming that ever happens). The coach seems like a solid hire, not that I know anything about him, and the fact that ownership has lots of a money is a plus.

On the other hand, the roll-out was really cheesy. I like the logo and color scheme, but I think they could have found something more original than FC Cincinnati. And it's not just "Football Club Cincinnati", it's "Futbol Club Cincinnati", which is stupid. The cheers on their promo video are also dumb...Deadspin even took a shot - Learn How To Be An FC Cincinnati Fan With These Cringeworthy Videos.

I'm curious to see how it pans out. Soccer will only continue to grow in this country, so if there's any chance at all Cincinnati can get an MLS franchise, I'm all for it.

Well, that's what American soccer is, especially at the USL level. It sounds cheesy. It IS cheesy. But, I gotta say, when you show up and tailgate with the guys in the supporters section, you're in the spirit by the time the game starts and the cheesy chants, while still cheesy, are a lot more fun. Kinda like a drunken sing-along at Haufbrau House.

The other thing about the USL is that you kind of party with the other team's fans before the game. The "supporters section" that travels is seemingly always welcome at the tailgates.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White