Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Junior
    I'll definitely check out a game. I'm not the biggest soccer fan (only watch the World Cup and Olympics), but it's a fun sport.
    zip em up

Cincinnati New Futbol Team

I'll check out a game for sure. I wonder if the people who invested in the Nippert modernization knew this was in the works. After all two major tennants makes the financing work better b
    - David Bowers ('95)

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    PB stadium was built to have the capability to play soccer games. This was in hopes of getting the Olympics in Cincinnati.
    Two things about PBS:

1. I'm pretty sure the Bengals lease with the city says that the Brown family has the right of first refusal in regards to ownership of any soccer team that calls PBS its home.

2. I'm somewhat certain that the Bengals did some kind of update to the field/bowl a few years back that eliminated the possibility of hosting a soccer game there. Again, I'm a bit foggy on this one and I could be wrong.

I haven't been following Nipperts renovation plans but is the field still going to be turf or are they switching to natural surface?

From all sounds of it they did a great job on the announcement of the club and they have brought in a big name to lead the them in US great John Harkes. I am excited to see where they go from here and plan on checking out a game or two when in town.

I like soccer, but minor league soccer? Maybe if they are passing out free tickets. From what I hear the tickets would be like $50. At least I thought I saw that. The is a nut for minor league soccer.

I love the promotion/relegation concept, but I can't see any MLS franchise owner giving up their investment like that. If I owned a team I would vote no to that concept. It really would make a lot of games interesting though at the bottom of the table, as teams fought to not be relegated and moved to a minor league. And the league champ of the minor league would go to the big time. That would be exciting, but I can't see it happening.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    I like soccer, but minor league soccer? Maybe if they are passing out free tickets. From what I hear the tickets would be like $50. At least I thought I saw that. The is a nut for minor league soccer.
    Someone may correct me, but I thought $50 was the deposit for season tickets.

It is a third-rate sport in a third rate league in a City that has failed to support the sport many times in the past. I would imagine that the ownership would be thrilled to match the average attendance of the other third rate sport's franchise in town, the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones.

There will be a hard-core small group of rabid supporters who religiously purchase tickets to games, just like the Cyclones. But, in the end, I don't see this Franchise go the route that its owners are suggesting: consistently drawing good crowds such that MSL and/or NASL invite them into the fold.

I like the fact that we'll at least have another sports option in town. But I have yet to attend a non-Reds, nob-Bengals, non-Muskies game in Cincinnati since the AHL's Swords and the WHA's Stingers. I doubt I'll be watching any FC Cincinnati games either as long as Xavier Soccer continues to excite us!

Quote Originally Posted by awayfan View Post
    I haven't been following Nipperts renovation plans but is the field still going to be turf or are they switching to natural surface?

From all sounds of it they did a great job on the announcement of the club and they have brought in a big name to lead the them in US great John Harkes. I am excited to see where they go from here and plan on checking out a game or two when in town.
    Turf, which absolutely sucks for soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

I love the promotion/relegation concept, but I can't see any MLS franchise owner giving up their investment like that. If I owned a team I would vote no to that concept. It really would make a lot of games interesting though at the bottom of the table, as teams fought to not be relegated and moved to a minor league. And the league champ of the minor league would go to the big time. That would be exciting, but I can't see it happening.
    My understanding is that the MLS is the sole owner of the franchises so they could more or less force it upon the teams whether they like it or not.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Turf, which absolutely sucks for soccer
    Nippert is turf for football, but the soccer team is going to have their own surface based on what i read.

Whether their surface will be turf or grass i don't know, but they won't be playing on the same surface.