Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Cincinnati New Futbol Team

Looks like Cincinnati will be fielding a soccer team playing in the USL starting in the spring of 2016 with games played at Nippert Stadium. I like this announcement and think it will be a nice addition to the sports landscape. Personally i just wished they would have looked to join the NASL, I like the way that league is set up and gives the owners more freedom to spend how they would like.

But with them joining USL hopefully they get put in the division with Pittsburgh so I have a few games I can catch easily

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...town/31495103/

I am beyond thrilled. There is an instant rivalry with Louisville City and Nippert will be a great place to watch the action.

Sophomore
    This is sweet, especially if the US ever goes to the promotion/relegation model.

I know there are major hurdles for that to happen, but I think it eventually will.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    This is sweet, especially if the US ever goes to the promotion/relegation model.

I know there are major hurdles for that to happen, but I think it eventually will.
    The more teams with facilities that could host an MLS match, the closer it is to happening. I ultimately want it, but the people arguing for it NOW are short sighted and unrealistic. There is a pretty good series of articles on it on Wrong Side of the Pond. Coincidentally, he's the guy who broke the Cincinnati FC story in May.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    The more teams with facilities that could host an MLS match, the closer it is to happening. I ultimately want it, but the people arguing for it NOW are short sighted and unrealistic. There is a pretty good series of articles on it on Wrong Side of the Pond. Coincidentally, he's the guy who broke the Cincinnati FC story in May.
    Agreed. I think it's a 5-10-15 year thing, but it will definitely happen at some point.

It also sounds like Nippert is a temporary solution while they work on building their own stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    It also sounds like Nippert is a temporary solution while they work on building their own stadium.
    Yeah, the USL has a rule in place that all members need to be in their own soccer specific stadium by 2020.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...fic-stadiums-2

I'm thinking we're looking at 15-20 years before promotion/relegation. Every lower league team will need a soccer specific stadium of 15k+ before that starts. You're not going to promote a USL team with a stadium that holds 8K to the MLS because they'll just hemorrhage money, so a ton of stadiums need to be built over the next decade or two. I think the sport will get there though. Just nowhere near close to it right now.

I don't think promotion/relegation will ever happen in the United States. It's ideal, at least in my opinion, but the problem is that we have franchises and not clubs. In order for this to happen, the USL, NASL and MLS would have to merge, and get along to the point to where they will allow their franchises to jump from league to league, and have owners who paid more money to be in the MLS agree to the possibility of being relegated and replaced by another franchise who didn't pay nearly as much.

None of that is even remotely possible. It won't happen. The differences is that the teams in the United States are franchises of a league, not independent clubs that play in a league and/or division, but do not really "belong" to it, the way they do in the rest of the world.
    Last edited by xubrew; 08-12-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I'm sure there could always be expanded franchise fees for NASL and USL franchises if they do want to explore the possibility of promotion. I was looking at Wikipedia and noticed that Montreal was a former NASL team. I'm sure they were treated as an expansion franchise for MLS.

PB stadium was built to have the capability to play soccer games. This was in hopes of getting the Olympics in Cincinnati.
    Balls of Steele!!