Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Orlando Classic

All-Conference
    All bickering aside, Dayton would be a decent non conference game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This is a factual statement, no need for those around here.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Dayton Cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Dayton Cheats.
    Did Butler teach them that? Or did they teach Butler?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Did Butler teach them that? Or did they teach Butler?

There used to be a poster that posted that, And only that.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Yep. That's what it comes down to. There are other possibilities, but scheduling is always a tricky game and Dayton is a ready-made option that would work almost their entire non-con around scheduling Xavier.

Now, scheduling in a lot of ways is about relationships between schools and/or staff members. If the relationship between UD and Xavier, between the coaches, or simply between Mack and UD has gone sour, that's an entirely legitimate reason not to schedule them. I say "if" because I don't know in that case; I can imagine scenarios but am not interested in speculating on that front. On the other side, the respective fanbases not liking each other (and consequently having visceral negative reactions to playing one another) is not a legitimate reason.

Freshman
    If I am Chris Mack, having experienced the reaction my wife received, I honestly would channel my inner Bob Huggins and say F 'em, really F'em.
    I don't know if that is short-sighted, or even a little immature, but as long as there are other options out there I would go that route.
    I don't know Chris Mack personally but get the sense that he is a strong family man and if that were me, I would have a very long memory and I can't or wont fault him for that - in fact I strongly agree. Yes, pure speculation but why not - it's the off season.

Orlando Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Boro Muskie View Post
    If I am Chris Mack, having experienced the reaction my wife received, I honestly would channel my inner Bob Huggins and say F 'em, really F'em.
    I don't know if that is short-sighted, or even a little immature, but as long as there are other options out there I would go that route.
    I don't know Chris Mack personally but get the sense that he is a strong family man and if that were me, I would have a very long memory and I can't or wont fault him for that - in fact I strongly agree. Yes, pure speculation but why not - it's the off season.
    If there's a reason they don't play, this is the most likely. It could be that or it could be Mack just thinks, "I don't care about the jackass fans; I'm cool with Archie and I like beating up on UD." I'm not in the mind of Chris Mack to know one way or the other.

The dust from conference realignment is settling down, so we'll get an idea in the next couple seasons if Mack/the administration has a level of antipathy toward UD. I say that because scheduling them will be much easier now that Xavier will have adjusted to two fewer non-conference games and will have exhausted pre-alignment and intra-alignment scheduling commitments.

Of course, the Big East could be expanding soon if certain things happen, in which case UD is a possible candidate for #12 (I don't think they'll ever be a candidate for #11). If that happens, why schedule a non-con series with someone who is about to join the conference?
    Last edited by XUFan09; 07-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I agree. Let's ignore their fans. Not playing the game because you don't like what some of their fans said is doing the opposite of ignoring them.

And who cares if it helps them?? Not wanting to schedule teams on the grounds that they would be helped by playing us is a ridiculous scheduling philosophy. They've gotten quite a bit better since we've quit playing them, so whatever it is that has made them better has been done entirely without our help.

ESPN already has the rights to the tournament, which means if we played Dayton in a non-bracketed game it would probably be on ESPN. Franky, both schools could benefit from an early season ESPN game when you look at the conference TV ratings. It would be a game against a tournament caliber team that's less than an hour away that would be on national television, it wouldn't count against our scheduling limit, and it would be of huge interest to the fans. There is no down side to that. How does that not benefit Xavier?? It seems like that would help out both teams, don't you think?? Not wanting to play a game like that simply because we find them annoying is more than a little silly.
    2 reasons: If we ever lost to those damn mellon humpers at home, that would be terrible. Playing Dayton on our home floor, there is absolutely ZERO downside for Dayton and Xavier is the only team with something to lose. Beating them at home is not anything to write home about. The second reason is once Archie Miller leaves, Dayton will once again fall into obscure mediocrity. Don't play them just because they finally have a decent coach who has made them respectable the last couple of years. Dayton is not a big name in college basketball, they just aren't, so if you want to play somebody that is a relatively big name and somewhat close, go after Louisville, Purdue, IU, West Virginia, Penn St even. There are a lot of schools that are a short drive (within 4-5 hours is what I consider short) that I would have more interest in playing than Dayton. They just are not relevant to me and bringing them onto our schedule makes me pay a little bit of attention to them and I just can't stand their idiot, arrogant, a$$ clown fans.
    Last edited by MuskiePimp23; 07-16-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Sounds a lot like UC fans back in the day.
    How so and when was "back in the day?" Did uc and Xavier ever stop playing like Xavier and Dayton did? Dayton dropped Xavier when they moved to the Great Midwest and we started playing them non-conference, but there were a couple years we didn't play them at all. UC and Xavier have never not played each other, nor been in the same conference. This is like apples and oranges as far as comparisons go. UC is Xavier's rival and always has been. Dayton is a conference rival that consistently loses away from there home floor to us. That is not the definition of a true rivalry. It is really only relevant because of the venom their fans dig up to try and make it into one. I mean, if you want a close conference rival that has some clout and actually done some major things on a National scale and been consistent in doing so, you only have to go to Indy and its Butler. They are our biggest conference rival in my opinion now and they also have a lot more respect nationally than Dayton ever will.
    Last edited by MuskiePimp23; 07-16-2015 at 11:15 PM.