Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    (Full Disclosure: I support the trail and I directly benefit from it as my neighborhood has direct access to it)

Once it is completed I think it will be really nice. However, right now it is really just a path to no where.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is taking so long to pave a path?
    Various administrative things?

We have the Monon Trail in Indiana (it stretches from Westfield, Indiana into Indianapolis (following a path the old Monon Railroad took). It has some densely populated and busy areas (with restaurants and parks) and some desolate areas I would not walk after dark. Overall, I think it has benefited my community. I don't know that I would feel the same way if I lived in Indianapolis.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    (Full Disclosure: I support the trail and I directly benefit from it as my neighborhood has direct access to it)

Once it is completed I think it will be really nice. However, right now it is really just a path to no where.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is taking so long to pave a path?
    The City of Cincinnati is in charge of it.

[QUOTE=STL_XUfan;627562I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is taking so long to pave a path?[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, the City is required to do an Environmental Impact Study before construction can really start. How a path over a train track affects the environment is beyond me. But you liberals are the cause we don't have our path yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    If I had to guess, the City is required to do an Environmental Impact Study before construction can really start. How a path over a train track affects the environment is beyond me. But you liberals are the cause we don't have our path yet.
    They didn't do a study on how the street car would affect traffic...

I kind of like having this thread here as a reference.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ar/2648946002/

As a quick reminder, I'm pro Wasson Way. The completed path will serve my neighborhood and I believe bring some valuable development to some long undervalued properties along the old train tracks. I'm just pissed about how the public has been guided along the way, and that our mayor has chosen his own neighborhood for this significant investment without a clear path or measure of return when other neighborhoods have equal or better investment opportunities. (The mayor lives about 0.8 miles from the Wasson Way path)

Phase two will run from Tamarack to Montgomery Road, adding another 0.7 miles to the trail (and) is expected to cost just under $3 million. It will be paid for using money allocated in last year's budget along with $944,000 in federal transportation grant funding; $800,000 from the city's railway tax credit revenue; $500,000 from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources; and a $100,000 private donation from School Outfitters.
    Full disclosure that I'm friends of the family of the School Outfitters people. Although I have not spoken with them directly about this project, the 100K contribution is a small fraction of what the increase in the value of their property is, and I note that their property is significantly abated for the next 10 years. For illustration, the Joseph group in late 2017 bought about 5 acres of land along phase 2, previously valued at about $500,000 for $2.8 million.

So once again, Cranley has steered $3m more tax dollars toward his pet project, putting taxpayers on the hook so far for $19 million of acquisition and construction costs of a 1.1 mile path. I've walked the current stretch more than a dozen times. Once I saw 4 other people on it. Most frequently, I see zero.

This will at least connect Norwood and the Xavier campus to Hyde Park, Rookwood Commons and to the large green space around Withrow. I expect this will actually drive some traffic and good use of the path. Is it $19 million worth?
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    I kind of like having this thread here as a reference.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ar/2648946002/

As a quick reminder, I'm pro Wasson Way. The completed path will serve my neighborhood and I believe bring some valuable development to some long undervalued properties along the old train tracks. I'm just pissed about how the public has been guided along the way, and that our mayor has chosen his own neighborhood for this significant investment without a clear path or measure of return when other neighborhoods have equal or better investment opportunities. (The mayor lives about 0.8 miles from the Wasson Way path)

Full disclosure that I'm friends of the family of the School Outfitters people. Although I have not spoken with them directly about this project, the 100K contribution is a small fraction of what the increase in the value of their property is, and I note that their property is significantly abated for the next 10 years. For illustration, the Joseph group in late 2017 bought about 5 acres of land along phase 2, previously valued at about $500,000 for $2.8 million.

So once again, Cranley has steered $3m more tax dollars toward his pet project, putting taxpayers on the hook so far for $19 million of acquisition and construction costs of a 1.1 mile path. I've walked the current stretch more than a dozen times. Once I saw 4 other people on it. Most frequently, I see zero.

This will at least connect Norwood and the Xavier campus to Hyde Park, Rookwood Commons and to the large green space around Withrow. I expect this will actually drive some traffic and good use of the path. Is it $19 million worth?
    The City of Cincinnati should not be allowed to oversee, plan, budget, be involved in any project whatsoever. The costs sky rocket, they never meet deadlines, and the only people who benefit are the council members themselves or people who used to be on council.