Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    The only thing g that worries me about this is we are going to be very green at the pg spot unless we sign a juco or grad transfer or Myles is able to play there.

I'm not too concerned about losing him in a vacuum, but it does leave us thin on experience at the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    Austin played some good minutes at the end, and did well, I think he will be fine.
    X should be ok with the combination of Larry handling point, with Myles, Remy, and Sumner to spell him. However, with having two open "ships" next year, I would be pretty surprised if X doesn't bring in a 5th year transfer PG. IMO, it should be an easy sell if the guy is good enough: plenty of playing time at PG (possibly starting), and the chance to be the final piece for a team that could win the Big East and go deep in the Tourney.

Team 94, that's what's up.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Fan View Post
    X should be ok with the combination of Larry handling point, with Myles, Remy, and Sumner to spell him. However, with having two open "ships" next year, I would be pretty surprised if X doesn't bring in a 5th year transfer PG. IMO, it should be an easy sell if the guy is good enough: plenty of playing time at PG (possibly starting), and the chance to be the final piece for a team that could win the Big East and go deep in the Tourney.

That makes sense. Our roster next year already has 3 FR (London, Sumner, and Gates), 4 SO (Austin, Bluiett, Macura, and O'Mara), 2 JR (Davis and Reynolds), and 2 SR (Abell and Farr). If there was a way to bring in a JR and SR to balance the classes and add some "maturity" to the team, that would seem to be the right way to go.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

X would love to get Tre Lewis from Cleveland State.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    Austin played some good minutes at the end, and did well, I think he will be fine.
    I like Larry as a player. I think he has a lot of upside.

Having said that, he barely played this past year.

He didn't enter the game in 1/3 of our games and in the others he only played 5+ minutes 9 times. He only played 10+ 4 times.

On the year he had a total of 6 assists and although it was a limited dataset he had almost twice as many turnovers as assists.

Again, I am very excited for the type of player Larry can and hopefully will be here. I just think that when you really look at it there wasn't a whole lot to be gleaned from his performance this year.

Sophomore

I agree that in a perfect world we find a 5th year PG transfer to come in and lead the team.

The 5th year transfer market is a tricky one though, especially when it comes to points and big men. The reason being that if you are a good one, just about every program in the country will be coming after you which obviously makes it tough to recruit those guys.

It is without a doubt a sellers market.

Austin shows a lot of promise, but you have to view this position as being one the team is very green at. Austin just didn't see a ton of floor time and there was a reason for that which had more to do with him than how Dee was playing. He might really improve over the summer, but it is a question mark until he settles in and starts playing minutes. Personally, I like what I saw, but as others have stated he turned the ball over too much. (As did all of our younger guys.)

I'm also hoping that Sumner will be the tall point guard of our dreams, but the health issue that kept him out this year also makes it a question mark. There seemed to be a reasonable explanation for what he was experiencing, so we should expect him to be at full health. Again, until the minutes get logged, his ability to run the team is a question. I do like him for the combo guard role, with more of a scorer position.

Sadly, even a senior transfer will take a while to learn the system. It may actually work better having our other guards try to learn the job better and rotate to see who is most effective.

Brandolph should x-fer to Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I've heard he's a name that's been on the radar for a while. .

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    This happens and we're a top 20 team to start the season

Brandon, good luck and thank you. I hope your Dad is okay, or getting better, and I hope you have a great basketball career on your way to earning your degree.
    X A V I E R