Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    You may be right, but I'll offer the following as reasons why we need to be careful about comparing Chris possibly leaving to those who left before him:

1. He is a Xavier guy, and that counts, especially since he also is a Cincinnati native, which counts in its own way.

2. The previous coaches did not have the Big East as part of their arsenal. If you don't think that's a big deal, then I can't help you - the general "you", not you specifically Wheelhouse.

3. We can throw more money at him now as direct compensation. Sean was being taken to low 7 digits with Xavier in the A10. We can get Chris into 7 digits now for his base salary, if he isn't already.

4. Hey look at that: we now have an endowed coaching position; we've never had that before.

Aside from his nexus to Xavier and Cincinnati and aside from the money, I suspect Chris has had conversations with Sean about Sean's experience moving to Arizona.

Bottomline: What increment of money is required on the left side of the scale to tip the balance for a change of venue from what sits on the right side of the scale, which includes:

Big fish in a basketball-focused pond.
    Alma Mater.
    Home.
    7-digit total package over a multiple year period (i.e. it's about annual number times the number of years you survive in a position, with any P5 job that could be considered carrying a higher performance risk factor than what exists at a known like Xavier).
    I agree with everything in your post. I was just cautioning against the sentiment that he'll never leave because he's a "Xavier guy". I think he'll stay, and for many of the reasons you list above. I just don't think it's the lock that a few around these parts think it is.

I don't think it is a lock either however Xavier is much closer to being a destination than ever before.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I agree with everything in your post. I was just cautioning against the sentiment that he'll never leave because he's a "Xavier guy". I think he'll stay, and for many of the reasons you list above. I just don't think it's the lock that a few around these parts think it is.
    Very fair way to put it.

On that note, I'm not worrying about him leaving, because I don't think he's going anywhere. In fact, I failed to mention that it appears as though his daughters would let him have it if he tried to go anywhere else. They've been superbly brainwashed in Xavier blue, white and silver.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Really could make a strong case Mack outcoached Miller last night.
    I absolutely think Mack out-coached Miller last night. I think the game plan was sound, it was the execution that wasn't firing on all cylinders like we needed it to in order to win the game.

I read one article this morning that said that Xavier was the first team that fully exposed Arizona's weakness against the zone, and for 35 minutes Arizona had no answer. I can't disagree. It wasn't perfect, but we did one hell of a job keeping the game from turning into the debacle that was the UK/WVU game.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Xavier lost but can keep their heads held high. WV not so much. ouch
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Xavier lost but can keep their heads held high. WV not so much. ouch
    Was BeelzeBob puking in the locker room after that one?

Amazingly, I didn't hear of any bar fights in downtown Cleveland involving a fat-ass DUI convicted Basketball coach.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-27-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    I absolutely think Mack out-coached Miller last night. I think the game plan was sound, it was the execution that wasn't firing on all cylinders like we needed it to in order to win the game.

I read one article this morning that said that Xavier was the first team that fully exposed Arizona's weakness against the zone, and for 35 minutes Arizona had no answer. I can't disagree. It wasn't perfect, but we did one hell of a job keeping the game from turning into the debacle that was the UK/WVU game.
    I don't know, I think it was evenly matched. I think Miller coached in a way where he was going to let Stain beat them- but not allow the kick to the guards/3's. I am sure he didn't expect Stain to do that good against his front line, but then in the last 5-6 minutes Sean guarded Stain completely differently than the whole game. Threw a couple different guys at him and started to sag more. I don't mean to diminish Macks coaching at all, I think he did a hell of a job. IMO, to say he and Miller were evenly matched in coaching is a hell of a compliment to him. I just feel like neither coached got "out-coached" in the game...though, the 1-3-1 was fantastic

Last night was the first loss I can remember I just might go back and watch again. Maybe not all the way....

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Last night was the first loss I can remember I just might go back and watch again. Maybe not all the way....
    I know what you mean. Reminded me of the K-State Sweet 16 game from a few years ago without the fireworks. We lost both but I was proud of our team after both of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Aside from his nexus to Xavier and Cincinnati and aside from the money, I suspect Chris has had conversations with Sean about Sean's experience moving to Arizona.
    Sean told Mack to forget the nexus to Xavier and get a buick if he plans to stay.

It is a bit of a double edged sword: the more success a coach has the more other schools are going to want to lure him away. I would agree that we are in the best position we could probably ask for in that regard. Get an outsider - get the success you hope for - and lose him. Hire a homer, give him the time to become the kind of coach you want.

If I had my choice between success and a revolving door in the head coaches chair or losing and a stable coach, I choose the former…partly because the latter would probably be shown the revolving door sooner or later anyway.

(Which makes me wonder when the last time Xavier fired a head basketball coach?)

I think we will take our chances with Mack.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.