Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    God, I admire you.
    No need to be sarcastic, was just stating that the media commonly picks against teams and they then go out and play great, Expecting a Sweet 16 birth for y'all tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    No need to be sarcastic, was just stating that the media commonly picks against teams and they then go out and play great, Expecting a Sweet 16 birth for y'all tomorrow.
    Mea culpa. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    And Gonzaga has white guys, some with goofy hair. Almost as good as a Mormon!
    They're sort of fun to watch, but really mostly aggravating.

I'm sick of ESPN playing up the "epic rivalry" between St. Mary's, a school that goes to the tournament every other year, is currently on probation and has only made it 7 times in its history, and Gonzaga. The WCC is a weak ass league, period and Gonzaga basically has a walk over for 2 1/2 months every year.

Child Please.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Here's why Gonzaga gets a lot of love.....because they fit neatly in a time slot where ESPN or ESPN 2 needs content. It gives them an obscene amount of exposure. ESPN can't get too many PAC 12 games because Fox has them locked up, so Gonzaga is the team of choice. Despite them beating us twice...once the year of the brawl, they have been way overplayed for a long time and the fact that they play in a weak league and that the PAC 12 doesn't produce many noteworthy teams, makes a real void in the programming availability. The Zags just fit right in.
    But if they were losing those games, I don't think the love would continue. Sure, having the national tv exposure helps a lot- but if they started losing in the regular season like they have in the tourney, I don't think the level of love would be nearly the same.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    But if they were losing those games, I don't think the love would continue. Sure, having the national tv exposure helps a lot- but if they started losing in the regular season like they have in the tourney, I don't think the level of love would be nearly the same.
    Not so sure about that...at least for a few years. The "aura" would hang around for a while. ESPN still needs 10-11 o'clock Eastern window content and Gonzaga fills it.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Here is why ESPN sucks off Gonzaga:
    1) There is no one else on the west coast worth a damn besides Arizona who is in the Pac 12-Fox network
    2) They used to be underdogs so now people still assume they are
    3) The name Gonzaga is quirky and "cool"

This may have been mentioned in another thread but did anyone see what Mack said about playing Georgia State in the pregame press conference? He got asked about Georgia State being the media darling of the tournament and he said something along the lines of (and I'm totally paraphrasing) "We're not going to worry about them being loved by the media. If we do our job on Saturday, the media can find someone else to fall in love with."

Zip Em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    This may have been mentioned in another thread but did anyone see what Mack said about playing Georgia State in the pregame press conference? He got asked about Georgia State being the media darling of the tournament and he said something along the lines of (and I'm totally paraphrasing) "We're not going to worry about them being loved by the media. If we do our job on Saturday, the media can find someone else to fall in love with."

The next team we play?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    The next team we play?
    No doubt!
    Zip Em Up!