Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    My belief is that because we hedge so much, other defenders- especially from the "off side"- have to sag in to guard the lane when we play a team with a primary ball screen offense. When we hedge, really good teams are able to pass and reverse the ball and that puts us in scramble mode. Because we are so "sagged" covering the paint, we can't get back out on the shooter. I have noticed that we have been doing much more switching on the ball screens lately. We certainly did it more in the Big East Tourney. The other alternative is more of a match-up zone which we apparently do not even have in our holster.

It is almost like our staff is convinced to take the chance that the opposition will miss the 3. Percentage wise, of course the three (NCAA average about 38%) is a lot lower than a 100% 2 point layup but it sure seems to hurt us comparatively more.
    So what you are saying is that you don't like hedging?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    So what you are saying is that you don't like hedging?
    That part is rather ambiguous, I think you're reading too much into it. Maybe he wants more hedging?

Junior
    I was watching the Texas Xavier tournament game today and we were hedging. Am I wrong? Haven't the Muskies been doing that for years?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I was watching the Texas Xavier tournament game today and we were hedging. Am I wrong? Haven't the Muskies been doing that for years?
    I thought it was a Matta thing, but definitely remember it more under Miller. Personnel exposes the shortcomings of the scheme more in some seasons than others.

See, here's the thing. Hedging ball screens is a legitimate defense .... But whatever defense you play has to fit your personnel or you'll get torched. My belief all year is that we've been playing a D that is ill suited to these players. Maybe next year with a more mobile Jalen at the 5, a taller Sumner in there and the other players with more experience, it might work, but I haven't liked it with this group.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    See, here's the thing. Hedging ball screens is a legitimate defense .... But whatever defense you play has to fit your personnel or you'll get torched. My belief all year is that we've been playing a D that is ill suited to these players. Maybe next year with a more mobile Jalen at the 5, a taller Sumner in there and the other players with more experience, it might work, but I haven't liked it with this group.
    I sort of agree with this and give Mack a lot of credit for the 1-3-1 but I'm not sure what d we should've used instead. The pack line helps overcome some of our m2m deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    The beginning of that game is hilarious. Texas wins the opening tip and Rafftery does his traditional, "...and Xavier goes, man to man!" Except Xavier came out in a 2-3 zone. The exchange between Raff and Verne Lundquist is great.

A silly time for me to talk next year, but it's going to look very different. It always does, but we've been watching almost everything go through Dee and Stain. Replace Dee with a 6'5" PG (among others) and Stain with an athletic Jalen, bring Makinde off the bench and it's a very different look. Looking for it to just get better and better. Not without some bumps, but pretty exciting.

I guess I can accept this. CMack knows what he has and he was willing to take his lumps this year with this young group to give them experience in this defense. He knows that with the full complement next year they'll be better.

I just wish the Staff would have taught a zone as an alternative defense earlier. We might have picked up 3 more wins.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I guess I can accept this. CMack knows what he has and he was willing to take his lumps this year with this young group to give them experience in this defense. He knows that with the full complement next year they'll be better.

I just wish the Staff would have taught a zone as an alternative defense earlier. We might have picked up 3 more wins.
    I think that's a lot of it. Mack and the staff aren't just thinking about this year but the next few years too, especially with the impressive underclassmen on the roster. It would not shock me at all if the team is top 25 in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency in two years, maybe even next year, with the seasoning they have developed (plus the addition of some athletic pieces).

I suspect that they felt this team wasn't advanced enough at their primary defense to start teaching the zone earlier in the season. For as strong of offensive instincts as this team has, they really seem to suffer in terms of defensive instincts.