Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How do you defend the three?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    A silly time for me to talk next year, but it's going to look very different. It always does, but we've been watching almost everything go through Dee and Stain. Replace Dee with a 6'5" PG (among others) and Stain with an athletic Jalen, bring Makinde off the bench and it's a very different look. Looking for it to just get better and better. Not without some bumps, but pretty exciting.
    Different? Yes. More athletic? Yup. Better? Now that will remain to be seen... Eclipsing what Stain and Dee have done will not necessarily be an easy task, even if it didn't always look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Different? Yes. More athletic? Yup. Better? Now that will remain to be seen... Eclipsing what Stain and Dee have done will not necessarily be an easy task, even if it didn't always look pretty.
    At the top of the things I'll miss the most is Matt passing out of the post. That opens a lot of things up, and I'm not sure how it's replaced.

Edit: I may change my mind if we can't get the ball up the floor and get the offense in gear.
    Last edited by xu82; 03-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    At the top of the things I'll miss the most is Matt passing out of the post. That opens a lot of things up, and I'm not sure how it's replaced.
    Hopefully Reynolds, Farr, O'Mara and London have been taking copious notes!

Better figure it out by tomorrow. Pretty sick shooting from BYU

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    See, here's the thing. Hedging ball screens is a legitimate defense .... But whatever defense you play has to fit your personnel or you'll get torched. My belief all year is that we've been playing a D that is ill suited to these players. Maybe next year with a more mobile Jalen at the 5, a taller Sumner in there and the other players with more experience, it might work, but I haven't liked it with this group.
    Mack is absolutely a disciple of the basketball school that says "Thou shalt need no other defense than correctly run man-to-man" -- the fact that we've seen so much 1-3-1 this season is pretty telling. In fact, I can't remember a Xavier team under Mack going to zone with as much regularity as this one has since conference play started. I think that's tantamount to an admission from Mack that these guys aren't a great fit for the packline.

Quote Originally Posted by letskeepitreal View Post
    Better figure it out by tomorrow. Pretty sick shooting from BYU
    Or not.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web...y_opponents_3p

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web..._on_3p_defense

It always been about not allowing the 3s to be taken, not about who is taking them. X needs to be better at mitigating three point shot attempts
    Brown against Burton...Brown starting his dribble...He moves in, he pops up....SCOOORRREESSS!....LENNY BROWN!...XAVIER WINS IT!...THE MUSKIES WIN IT!...71-69...The UC Bearcats are #1 in the country, #2 in their OWN CITY! - Andy MacWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    My belief is that because we hedge so much, other defenders- especially from the "off side"- have to sag in to guard the lane when we play a team with a primary ball screen offense. When we hedge, really good teams are able to pass and reverse the ball and that puts us in scramble mode. Because we are so "sagged" covering the paint, we can't get back out on the shooter.
    Add in that Stain is not quick at getting back to his position after hedging(this does not mean he is not hustling), Xavier's defender has to wait longer in the paint before getting back into his normal position, thus leaving leaving a shooter open a tad longer. This leads to more open outside shots.
    Balls of Steele!!