Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    I think Farr has played his way in to having a short leash. Most games this season he comes in and bricks a couple of 3s or takes a couple bad shots. Average defense, but I will give him credit for being a solid rebounder when he is in.

The James Farr Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by XU-XHI View Post
    Farr's biggest problem is defense. His footwork leaves much to be desired. Even UC took advantage of him with the isolation on the in-bounds to to take the lead. His shooting could be better but you can tell from his free throws that his shot has been gone. I truly hope he gets his shooting back and improves the D. He has an NBA body and college freshman defensive skills. He's just never found the coordination to play against the BigE talent he typically winds up defending.
    Farr was our best big defender yesterday.

The James Farr Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    James played great last night and was locked in when he got in there. The problem is he doesn't make those shots consistently enough to force Mack to stay in the game. He made a 3 last night but maybe he should stick to the elbow jumper. That looks like a much better shot for him.
    Farr is flashing out to the 3 pt line because that's where Mack wants him. And he wants him taking that open shot. I can only guess that's because he has shown in spurts in games, and probably much more often in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Farr was our best big defender yesterday.
    I concur and that says a lot about UC's dominance in the post, especially in the 2nd half.
    Go Musketeers! Go Bombers!

Based on his hustle plays alone, James Farr has to be a net positive when on the court. However, his shots are............................................... ......four feet off.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Based on his hustle plays alone, James Farr has to be a net positive when on the court. However, his shots are............................................... ......four feet off.
    Agree. James plays tough and has a knack for getting to rebounds. If he could focus on the Rebounding, Defense, and hustle the rest of this year it would be huge. I don't mind him taking a shot if he's WIDE open, but otherwise let's work the offense more.

Really, the only shot I want him to take is his very first shot. He usually comes in with a good rhythm, but then forces shots after that. He's gotten better at not forcing shots though, and I believe the shot he took last night was because of the situation (later in the shot clock, no one getting open).

Farr is really good around the basket. He's tall, wiry, athletic and has that knack of knowing where a miss shot is going to go. And he makes a great middle on the 1-3-1 - when he's in the middle and Reynolds is at the point the combined wingspan seems to stretch from the 3 point line to the basket.

On offense, I wish he'd spend 90% of his time around the basket. He's a very, very streaky shooter from the 3, but he spends a lot of time hovering around the 3 point line. If the shot clock is under 10 and he has to shoot the 3, fine. Otherwise, stay near the basket and keep grabbing those offensive rebounds.

He can't stay around the basket 90% of the time, because our ball-screen offense requires him to come out and set screens. Then, unlike Stain and Reynolds, we tend to have him roll out to the perimeter. I'm guessing that's because he doesn't tend to play in the 4-1 lineup, so when he's in either Stain or Reynolds is also in, and we don't want him clogging the lane.

My point is that Farr's role should be the same as Stainbrook and Reynolds, where they are only outside the paint when they're setting screens or used as an outlet at the top of the key. Rarely does Reynolds or Stainbrook attempt anything outside of 8-10 feet, (though Reynolds seems to be developing more of an outside game). He should only be shooting 3's when the clock is under 5 and nobody else is open. He does much more damage down below.

When Stainbrook and Reynolds are in together, there's no issue with the lane being clogged, so I don't think it would be an issue with Farr and either of the two in at the same time.

He must be a hell of an outside shooter in practice. It seems that, on occasion, plays are run so that he gets open looks from 3. Mack and his teammates seem to have confidence in his shot.
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.