Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Crazy to think that game wasnt on TV. Two top 20 teams. Not to mention XU is on TV every game now. We have come a long way friends.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Classic XU Game TRADE Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leghorn View Post
    1989 - Xavier 115 Loyola Marymount 113 in OT. 34 and 20 for Tyrone Hill and 24 and 24 for Derek Strong. It was just before Hank Gathers died. LMU went to the Elite 8 that year.
    That one and the game out in LA in 1988 between the two teams I'd love to watch again. The game @ LMU was actually on tv. The only reason I remember that is because my family got a new TV that day and my dad and I watched the game on it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    What was the game where David West tipped in a missed free throw at either the buzzer or with like very little time left to win the game? I think it was against a crappy team we should have beat bad. Anyone remember what I am talking about?
    It was against George Washington- on 3/1/2003..and they weren't horrible, but they did finish 12-17 then went to the NIT the next year. They were a developing young team with Pops Mensa Bonsu and Mike Hall as freshmen- both of whom eventually went to the NBA.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by JAPER View Post
    vs George Washington. Don't know exact year. West a junior or senior I believe.

peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    It was against George Washington- on 3/1/2003..and they weren't horrible, but they did finish 12-17 then went to the NIT the next year. They were a developing young team with Pops Mensa Bonsu and Mike Hall as freshmen- both of whom eventually went to the NBA.
    Thanks.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances? Was it a tip in at the buzzer off a missed free throw as I remember? I know I was at the game and it was looking like we were going to lose. Just cant remember for sure if that is what happened.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Retire33 View Post
    I would still like to see the Umass game again. To this day that is the loudest sporting event I've ever attended; and it's not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That game was amazing. Crazy loud, and the lid below off the Gardens when Darnell Williams got the opening tip and Dunked It! Impressive that UMASS handled that atmosphere and found a way to get it to OT and win. Crazy good team. Fun times!

Thanks.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances? Was it a tip in at the buzzer off a missed free throw as I remember? I know I was at the game and it was looking like we were going to lose. Just cant remember for sure if that is what happened.
    It was off a regular shot, but he barely got a finger tip on the ball and barely before the light/buzzer went off, so it was under review for a very long time. Xavier was down one at the time, so if they waived off the basket, GW wins; if they count it, XU wins. From what I remember, Xavier had a long winning streak going at the time, too.

Here is the game story from the Enquirer:

http://www.enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu1a2.html

and this: http://enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu2a2.html (I guess there were no water fountains around).

1994 Crosstown Shootout. The one where we won in OT and Huggins wouldn't shake Pete's hand. That was my freshman year and first Shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    It was off a regular shot, but he barely got a finger tip on the ball and barely before the light/buzzer went off, so it was under review for a very long time. Xavier was down one at the time, so if they waived off the basket, GW wins; if they count it, XU wins. From what I remember, Xavier had a long winning streak going at the time, too.

Here is the game story from the Enquirer:

http://www.enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu1a2.html

and this: http://enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu2a2.html (I guess there were no water fountains around).
    Awesome, thank you.

Did we have a game sometime in the 2000's, maybe after West where our winning shot was off a tip off a missed free throw? I am not sure why that is so stuck in my mind? I wanna say maybe against Wofford or a similar team? Am I crazy or anyone know what I might be talking about?

Did we have a game sometime in the 2000's, maybe after West where our winning shot was off a tip off a missed free throw? I am not sure why that is so stuck in my mind? I wanna say maybe against Wofford or a similar team? Am I crazy or anyone know what I might be talking about?
    If memory serves me, something along these lines happened (I want to say either Wofford or Western Michigan when they had Stainbrook) back in Mack's second or third year, early on in the season. Then of course there was the David West tip in against GW with a fraction of a second left.