Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    I will say it again, people who watch this team from the outside, as well as all the computer rankings, have a lot more respect for this team than the bulk of our message board experts. We have had our problems this year, but it was never as bad as all the "Fire Mack" idiots were taking it.
    This is true. I think that's because fans tend to concentrate more on the micro (i.e., discrete wins and losses) while people who watch from the outside (particularly coaches and commentators whose job it is to know how teams compare to one another) concentrate far more on the macro (i.e., the whole package, including its potential).

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    This is true. I think that's because fans tend to concentrate more on the micro (i.e., discrete wins and losses) while people who watch from the outside (particularly coaches and commentators whose job it is to know how teams compare to one another) concentrate far more on the macro (i.e., the whole package, including its potential).
    Exactly. Every legit fan is guilty of making rash judgements during the heat of the game. What bothers me are the irrational posters who come back days later and still can't get past the extremes. The whole "season is a lifetime" cliche really is true. We've had a few absolute stinkers for sure, but to keep things in perspective, we still have a pretty decent resume in a really good league with a lot of opportunities ahead. Even after the worst games, declaring us dead was incredibly premature, just as it would be premature to declare us as on a roll after our first (albeit huge) conference road win. I just am of the personal belief that this coaching staff and program and players deserved the benefit of the doubt, from its alleged biggest fans, that they could turn things around, seeing as to how we see the same meltdowns here EVERY SINGLE January, and more often than not, the ship has gotten back on course. Maybe they were a very vocal minority, but there were some pretty irrational freak outs here recently.

When it comes to Xavier basketball this year, I've got three words...
    Trending upwards!

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    our message board experts.
    = military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, semi-boneless ham, etc.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    When it comes to Xavier basketball this year, I've got three words...
    Trending upwards!
    Ummm.........how many words?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!