Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Ways to improve Cintas Center

Isn't that the challenge that live sports all over are facing. The home experience, particularly if you are a stats person, can be argued to be better at home than in the arena.

I would also agree that the changes that Xavier are implementing here are purely for the "need to see and be seen" fan or the businessmen who needs to impress clients.

Both those groups also are known to be willing to throw around stupid money to get those perks.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    I have a problem with Xavier unilaterally abrogating its seat agreements before the expiration of the five year term agreed to by both Xavier and me. The Premium II five year seat agreement that I signed in 2013 includes the following language: "You will have exclusive use of your Premium II seats for all Xavier Men's Basketball games played at the Cintas center during the term of this agreement, beginning with the 2013/2014 season through the 2017/2018 season." It also includes this: "At the conclusion of this agreement, you will be given the first option to renew your Premium II seats at the then current contribution rates and terms determined by Xavier and in accordance with renewal procedures established by Xavier".

Now I am being told in a letter from Brett Sanders of Athletics that my seats for the 2017-2018 season, and beyond, are "subject to the new seat selection". I don't believe that Xavier has the legal right to ignore the terms of my contract, and I plan to make my concerns known to Athletics next week. I also believe that even if Xavier does have that right, it is wrong for Xavier to ignore the commitment that its long-time fans have made to the program and to the Cintas Center.

Let's be clear here. Xavier wants more money, and I have no problem with that except that it will come at the expense of losing some of their longest and most loyal fans. At a minimum, Xavier needs to honor the agreements in place at the current time before subjecting its Premium II seat holders to the reselection process. I suspect that I will not be impacted much given my "point total". However others around me will likely be more heavily impacted, even though they have been program supporters for as long as I but in seats near me for a shorter period of time because they replaced some members of our original selection group when those members left the area or died. If our group breaks up, these people will relinquish their tickets, and that is wrong. It will hurt both them and Xavier. Xavier needs to rethink and modify what they propose to do before such damage is done.

Thoughts?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

You guys realize that this is a common occurrence across college basketball, right? When arenas are updated/replaced, the seats have to be re-selected. You may not get the same seat, but I'm sure it will be fairly comparable. Its something that has to be done and this is the most fair way. Get over it. I really cant believe how personal some of guys are taking this.

Sophomore
    A few things drove this besides simply wanting more money. Stimulating more revenue is certainly one reason for the changes; however, there is also the fact that many of the seats in the few rows of the Cintas had aged to the point where they required replacement. However, when the University attempted to replace them with the exact same model they discovered it was no longer made and they had to change to a completely new seat. At that point they said if they were going to change, then they would go with a larger, more comfortable seat altogether. Thus, less seats in those first few rows. Then, the thought is we lost some seats here, where can we make that up. Leads to brainstorming ways to add more seats in new locations. Then, thoughts given to what makes us catch up with our peers in terms of amenities for the fans and donors. This lead to the more luxurious seats, clubs, and other amenities.

Once you removed seats from those lower rows, they had to reallocate the seats. There was really no other option. For those people there seats literally no longer exist.

Another thing to keep in mind is that players, recruits, and their families notice these things too. Having everything new, posh, etc around the stadium does improve recruiting in addition to stimulating more donations to the program which also helps recruiting and progress as well.

This had to happen at some point....

Ways to improve Cintas Center

Is it true that the retractable rows in the front are going to be replaced with more permanent seating? It could not have been good on those seats to have to be folded down or collapsed every time those rows were retracted. For those that have never gotten that close at Cintas, let's just at those seats have to flex and fold more than the average seat.

And yeah, it's common, it's also just as common for affected fans to go on sports forums like this and whine and bellyache.

It's all good business until it affects your seat, then it's personal.
    - David Bowers ('95)

I don't know this for certain, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't some language somewhere that basically trumps all the other promises made in the seat agreements. In case of remodeling, natural disaster, whatever, they will do their best to make everyone whole with comparable arrangements. Otherwise they'd be boxing themselves into a corner, and I doubt they did that. This wouldn't be the first time a situation like this has occurred. At the end of the day the arena will be improved, but I understand being upset if they mess with my seats. I happen to be an aisle freak, and would not want that taken from me. Others may be more attached to the people around them. Regardless, let's hope this is much ado about nothing.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu 4 MVP View Post
    You guys realize that this is a common occurrence across college basketball, right? When arenas are updated/replaced, the seats have to be re-selected. You may not get the same seat, but I'm sure it will be fairly comparable. Its something that has to be done and this is the most fair way. Get over it. I really cant believe how personal some of guys are taking this.
    Are they doing this to you too? Perhaps you would find it more difficult to accept if the seats you had selected and paid thousands of dollars for over the last 15 years were being taken from you. I understand that it's a business. But that doesn't make it right or even in Xavier's best interest if it drives away some of its most loyal fans.

And 82, I looked over my agreement for the kind of language that you are referring to because I expected to see something. It simply isn't there.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Hang a National Champion banner from the rafters.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I get being upset about Xavier breakng the agreement and it is interesting if they dont leave themselves an out with language in the contract, that would piss me off. What I cant understand, however, if this idea that people wont renew season tickets if they arent with a certain group of people. Is this family? Friends just met through sitting in the area? It seems that if that is the case then those people are more into going to the games for a social night than to watch the game. Go to trivia night if that is the case. Would the not renewing just be a principal of the matter stand because they are upset? Otherwise I dont get if you are a big Xavier fan and season ticket holder not renewing tickets just because you cant sit by a group of people that you used to sit by. I'm sure there are plenty of seats available for a group in the upper level. Move up there if the group is so important.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    Hang a National Champion banner from the rafters.
    Now that would be a change to the Cintas I think we could all get behind.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17