10 Things I Learned from the Jesuits

No, not me. Perish the thought. I could never say it so well.

Mark Judge in this fine piece.

I clicked on the link with my Jesuit-imbued skepticism . . . and was amazed to see Judge got it wonderfully right.

#1, #8, and #10 are the hardest to practice of course, but we keep trying.

Well done, Judge.

His book looks like a read, too.
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

"Men for others" is the motto at UD High, my alma mater. The Jebbies are running the only two Catholic high schools left in the 143 sq miles of Detroit. All of the other order-sponsored high schools skedaddled for the deep (white, monied)burbs', or just quit. Sticking it out was tough for a decade or so, but they held on, and are thriving. The alums have never abandoned the school, and alum giving is now at an all time high. 50 years after graduating, I was again struck by what a public-spirited group of individuals were present at our reunion.

My teachers, but in particular some of the Jesuits, were then and remain now my role models. The duty to use your talents for the benefit of others, and not just for yourself, is the ethical and moral beacon that guides my life. The Jesuits instilled that in me in a way that my well intentioned parents and a number of fine nuns with rulers never could.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Great stuff, Mel. I have really focused on Mercy the past several years. Understanding it. Seeking it. Trying to learn how to offer it. It is such an easy concept, so hard to practice and I'm so happy that God has an endless amount of it for my sinful soul. One thing not on the list is critical thinking. I learned so much about how to think critically from my Jesuit education.

p.s. - I tried reaping you, but was prohibited. So, public reps.
    Pray the Rosary daily

I attended Toledo St. John's. If it weren't for my experience at SJ, and particularly with the Jesuits who worked within the school, I would never have attended Xavier. There's something special when it comes to the Jesuits and I'll always find favor in their work, their mission, and their goal to make Men and Women for Others.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)