Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    We saw Carlin and Bill Cosby in the last 6-8 years and it was more of a talk than comedy. A lot of political and social positions. These are funny people who feel like they don't have to be funny anymore. People come to se them for their name, and I don't regret going, but I wouldn't do it again. It was merely "nice". We are looking forward to Jim Gaffigan though.
    Well Bill Cosby is a rapist so its all ok I guess.

Nick DiPaolo is hilarious. Also liked stuff from Patrice O'Neal and John Pinette (both gone too soon). Of course most of the ones already mentioned too (Rock, Murphy, Black, Cosby, Seinfeld, etc.). Ralphie May cracks me up too.

Freshman
    I have two polar opposites, from my childhood, that I discovered on VINYL. Bob Newhart and Richard Pryor. To my knowledge no video of them in their prime exists, and I know that Richard Pryor has video out, but his "prime" for me was pre-1975 or so. Pryor routines were the only ones that reflected the world I saw every day. Example of the two "I Spy" cops entering the bar looking for Jesse. "We're looking for Jesse. Anyone seen Jesse. Hey, you seen Jesse. No N----r I don't want no radio."

Bob Newhart used to do routines in the late 1950's and early 1960s where he was on the phone, so you only hear his side of the conversation. This made it possible to do a combination of slapstick, satire, sarcasm, and social commentary at the same time. I've never heard anything like it to this day. Really brilliant insights, that lead you to see that the "satire" could really be an accurate portrait of life. If anyone is old enough to be able to concentrate on language without a visual enforcement, I recommend listening to "Abe Lincoln vs Madison Avenue" "Introducing Tobacco to Civilization" "The Kruschev Landing" "Merchandising the Wright Brothers" and "The Mrs. Grace L Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company."

Sophomore
    I love listening to stand up comedians and I agree with a lot of the names that have been mentioned. Kevin James sweat the small stuff is a great set that will have you rolling. Rober Schimmel and John Pinnette are very funny, but both died in the last couple of years. I love going to go bananas and watching some of the up and coming acts. It is usually a cheap night of fun and a good old school venue to watch comedy in.

Watched two Bill Burr specials thia weekend on Netflix. He is pretty good.
    Zip'em Up!

Watched Chelsea Handler's stand up special on Netflix.

Not impressed. More "shock" jokes than true humor.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

We saw Jim Gaffigan tonight live. Very funny. And we could have reached out and touched him - if we'd brought a pole a half mile long. We got our tix very late, but there was one row behind us. Still, it was a very nice night. I'd recommend it.

I'm going to see Jerry Seinfeld in Wichita November 20. Yes, Jerry Seinfeld is coming to Wichita.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm going to see Jerry Seinfeld in Wichita November 20. Yes, Jerry Seinfeld is coming to Wichita.
    Nice! I'd do that in a heartbeat, if I happened to be in Witchita. I'll have to hope it happens closer to home. There's a place only 3 miles from our house that gets great talent. I think we saw Kevin James there most recently prior to tonight. Paying attention to the emails and getting a jump on good tickets is the hardest part. We love good comedy. Enjoy Seinfeld!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I have seen Kevin James and Jim Gaffigan, both really funny.

I love the show Impractical Jokers and would be interested in seeing those guys do standup, not sure if it would be as good as the show but want to see them.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17