Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Maybe he's just a good poker player.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I feel confident that Chris Mack will be at Xavier for years to come, and by that I mean at least 5 years.

I believe he'll be at Xavier longer should he - we - experience the kind of success the school is aspiring to achieve now.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I feel confident that Chris Mack will be at Xavier for years to come, and by that I mean at least 5 years.

I believe he'll be at Xavier longer should he - we - experience the kind of success the school is aspiring to achieve now.
    I actually agree with you and feel confident about a solid 5 years. I can't support that with any kind of reasonable argument, but I just have a gut feeling that we get at least 5 years. New contract, great incoming class that will take some time, Cincy ties, etc. I'm excited about the future and refuse to focus on the gloomy side (as of this moment - but subject to change). Of course, I'm wrong all the time. My wife and kids will testify to that.

OK, maybe four years.... change happens
    Last edited by xu82; 05-22-2014 at 11:46 PM.

I agree, I think he's gonna stick around for a while longer.

A lot can change in four or five years. It could evolve into a lifer.

Congrats to all parties..

I would be stunned if Chris Mack was still at Xavier when members of this incoming class graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    Chris is nobody's dummy. Cal is not exactly a UCLA, UNC, Duke, or Kentucky. Nobody would ever think twice if a Muskie coach would jump at the chance to coach at one of those 4 places. Furthermore, Cal's location would require quite a big disparity in salary due to the cost of living differential between Berkeley and the Cincinnati Metro area. And getting to a final 4 there would probably be every bit as big a challenge (if not more) than making it as one of the better teams in the Big East on an annual basis (which Xavier will likely be)!
    Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    That makes logical sense, but the reality is that he (a) seriously considered accepting the position, and (b) a number of program insiders were convinced he was going to take the job.
    You guys do know that his wife is pregnant again, right? No way he was leaving this time for either of those places with that going on. He was NOT going to Cal, although he has admitted that they do like the area. Hell, who doesn't like the Bay Area?

The poker player analogy by Paul is right on. As opposed to the desert raccoon who had his wife crying when he accepted the job, CMack has a little more empathy for his other half. He was not putting her through a move now.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    You guys do know that his wife is pregnant again, right? No way he was leaving this time for either of those places with that going on. He was NOT going to Cal, although he has admitted that they do like the area. Hell, who doesn't like the Bay Area?

The poker player analogy by Paul is right on. As opposed to the desert raccoon who had his wife crying when he accepted the job, CMack has a little more empathy for his other half. He was not putting her through a move now.
    I honestly think that Christi's pregnancy had a ton to do with him not taking the Cal job. They have a great support system here, and to ask her to take care of a baby and the two girls in a brand new city on the other side of the country, in a job where he is away from home a ton, would simply not have been reasonable.

I think Chris likes it here, but I think there are some things that are causing him to seriously consider leaving. My guess is that the baby puts that on pause for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    That makes logical sense, but the reality is that he (a) seriously considered accepting the position, and (b) a number of program insiders were convinced he was going to take the job.
    But in the end --- Chris Mack decided Xavier was still the place for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post

That was one of the numerous variables that Coach Mack mentioned in the articles announcing his extension. But to suggest that he would have left had the Macks not been expecting their third child is a bit presumptuous. Chris is a goal oriented individual and he has his sights set on the first Final Four for Xavier in its history. When our previous five coaches left, there was less likelihood of them being able to recruit well enough to take XU to the "Promised Land." Now that the Muskies are in the Big East, a head coach at Xavier can compete for better players than he could as a member of the MCC or A-10. Furthermore, previous Xavier coaches did not have immediate family and in-laws who lived in the tri-state area like Chris and his wife do. And none of our previous coaches and assistants were paid like our present ones are now being paid. There is now less of a need for a Xavier head coach to move to Winston Salem, Providence, Columbus, Tucson, or even Berkeley to reach his goals. Chris might not wind up being a "lifer" at Xavier. But I see him more as a Pete Gillen (9 years as XU's head coach) than as a Thad Matta (3 years as XU's head coach).