Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a big Chris Mack fan and think he's a better coach than a lot of Xavier fans give him credit for, as it seems there's a lot of people in the "bearish" to "not sold" category. I think Xavier's program can reach a higher level than it ever has under Chris Mack, and I hope he stays for a long time. But I think it's entirely useless to make comments like, "He bleeds Xavier and will be here for a very long time." The fact is, we just don't know. Things can change quickly and I'm just going to enjoy the ride during the season, and get back to being anxious and panicky every offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    Shannon's article says the assistants got a raise too.
    Thanks for making this very important point. (You saved my tired, lazy ass from reading the article to find out as I'm whipped right now!) The head coach gets most of the attention but the assistants are critical to both coaching and recruiting. Most of you can recite the changes better than I can, but it seemed like we had a rough spell there for a while. Stability with assistants is important too.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    I am a big Chris Mack fan and think he's a better coach than a lot of Xavier fans give him credit for, as it seems there's a lot of people in the "bearish" to "not sold" category. I think Xavier's program can reach a higher level than it ever has under Chris Mack, and I hope he stays for a long time. But I think it's entirely useless to make comments like, "He bleeds Xavier and will be here for a very long time." The fact is, we just don't know. Things can change quickly and I'm just going to enjoy the ride during the season, and get back to being anxious and panicky every offseason.
    Spot on!

PMI--What's this bearish shit? Xavier is damned lucky to have Chris as its coach and I, like you am a fan. But I am also of the Pete Gillen philosophy--"Never say never..times change, people change so I never say never." I just hope he is our Mark Few. Now walk softly through my woods, OK?.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    Shannon's article says the assistants got a raise too.
    I think that was an important part of Mack not taking the Cal job. X can't lose any more assistants to Villanova because Nova pays 40k more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by wkrq59 View Post
    PMI--What's this bearish shit? Xavier is damned lucky to have Chris as its coach and I, like you am a fan. But I am also of the Pete Gillen philosophy--"Never say never..times change, people change so I never say never." I just hope he is our Mark Few. Now walk softly through my woods, OK?.
    Q is THE bear. You mess with the Bear, the Bear comes out swinging!!

Heed this warning PMI...don't f**k with the Bear!!
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Now he better start winning more games. Dez Wells excuse wearing off.

Quote Originally Posted by gladdenguy View Post
    Now he better start winning more games. Dez Wells excuse wearing off.
    The excuse we will hear next season is "we have a young team" with 6 freshman and 3 sophomores. Can't blame Dez for anything anymore.

I am sure Coach Mack and the team will say youth is no excuse, and I agree. High major college basketball has more kids looking to make a splash in college and jump to their careers. I think the adjustment for young players should be easier than it has been in the past, because they are facing less and less upper classmen.

I expect some growing pains this year, but also expect this team to come together around the Christmas break, as we have seen happen a number of times in the past 25 years. There is too much talent on this roster to waste it on excuses.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by wkrq59 View Post
    Perhaps I should've chosen my words more wisely knowing that the board's grizzly still patrols the woods...

On a related note, I do think this incoming class is as important a class as we'e ever had. If they live up to the hype, they might be a tough group to walk away from, and the recruiting momentum could keep rolling in our favor. This looks to be one of the absolute best predominantly four year classes in 2014, on paper. Of course, we still have to pay competitively, which it sounds like we've taken a good step in that direction.

The reality is that even with this (entirely necessary) bump in compensation, Xavier can not and will not be able to offer the kind of financial package that a BCS football school can. Even Xavier's improved contract to Chris is significantly less than Wake and California were offering. And that gap is not likely to close anytime soon given the arms race for college football media rights. Every summer from now until the end of Chris's tenure at Xavier (assuming he continues to have success) he will be offered big money to leave.

Just my opinion, but I would put the over/under on Chris Mack's remaining seasons at Xavier at 1.5. Maybe 2.5 if you're real ambitious. But that's okay. There just aren't that many lifer coaches out there any more. Xavier's infrastructure, facilities, tradition, and competitive financial backing of the program will keep it an attractive destination for the best young coaching talent.