Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UC or UD

UC all the way, during my time at X I HATED UC..Each year only grew that hatred, for that week leading up to the game it's X vs the entire freaking city, the UC game is THE game on the schedule, you will never see Xavier students camping out to see X play Dayton..that being said the UD game was always fun and provided great memories but nothing on X's schedule compares or ever will compare to the UC game

Quote Originally Posted by blobfan View Post
    UC, for all the reasons covered by previous posters. That said, any time UD wants to come to Cincy and try to break the Jimmy Carter streak, I think we should make room in the schedule.
    Yes, we can book them as a buy game and pay them $50k to come get their ass kicked. I have no problem with that.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Junior
    UC.

Every year I try to tell myself the game is not a big deal before the game.

Then there is the game. And I'm yelling at the tv. I'm pissed at the refs. I'm pissed at our players for small mistakes. I'm pissed at UC for being UC...I even do this when we're winning by 20!

Then after the game, regardless of outcome, I tell myself and everyone else that it's just a game...it's just a game...

but for some reason, it's not.

Definitely prefer to play UC. It's a bigger rivalry.

Yet, in an odd way I'd say I hate ud more, but that's not based on basketball. During ud games I maintain a rather light-hearted attitude. I think the "hatred" is based entirely on their fan base and their city.
    zip em up

When Dayton was a conference game, that was a bigger game. Now they mean nothing. UC all the way, double rainbow.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Brew, you made the same argument over there. I've got to trust our schedulers that it's not worth the effort to start it up. What is better? A road game at Dayton, or at Missouri? H/H's are for high majors. They're not coming just our place.

As to the choice between UC and UD, this should clear it up if you are relatively new to the series.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
    Again, within the hypothetical of Missouri or UD, I'd rather play Mizzou. (Although I don't think that'd be my answer of Haith was still there, because you can't really call any Frank Haith coached team "major.")

But, say neither XU or UD had finished their schedule and both are still looking for games?? What then?? Why would we not schedule them in that scenario??

As far as fan interest goes, UD, who we don't currently play, garners more attention than all of the OOC teams that we actually do play combined. This is one of two active threads that talks about a team we don't even play, and that we aren't going to play. It's kind of hard to argue that there is a lack of interest. People still read their board and post about it over here. Who read the Mizzou board today?? What are they saying about us?? Why aren't there multiple threads about Mizzou??

That's the fan interest part of it. Now, here is the quantitative part of it.

I would say they're a solid team. They're an NIT team that wins 20+ games most of the time, and an NCAA team some of the time, and they just made the Elite Eight (in the one year when we didn't play them). There is value to beating a team like that, and in the case of UD, we won the vast majority of the games.

Something else to consider is that after the NCAA Tournament field was announced, most people on here were flipping their shit. Well, whether or not you agree with how the committee does things, it's still to your benefit to do the things the committee rewards teams for doing. Look at all of the "overseeded" teams (and in most cases they were overseeded, but that's the point). Most of them played and won on the road, and in many cases they weren't against high majors. The precedent seems to be that you're only rewarded for winning away from home, and you're almost never punished for losing on the road. How else can BYU, SLU, UMass, (and really all six A10 teams), be explained??

Three out of the four #1 seeds played road games against non power teams. In the case of Virginia, they lost at Green Bay (who didn't even make the field), but still got a #1 seed because it seems as though the committee forgives road losses these days.

If there are teams that are overseeded, and that aren't as good as we think we are but are still getting better seeds, perhaps that's who we should play. If we beat them (which in the case of UD we've done most of the time), then it makes us look better. If we lose to them on the road, then it almost doesn't matter.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

It's UC. There's no contest over this, again, if the question simply boils down to UC OR UD with no other conditions present.

However, on the comical end of things, I almost imagine I would pull harder for UD if only I paid more attention to the Blackburn Review guys, because they're truly objective and funny. Their "Overlords" term for Xavier cracks me up. Nonetheless, I made the mistake of visiting UDPride most of the time when I cared to visit a UD board. Stupidity, at that level, is almost an art form, it certainly is some kind of an achievement, but it is pitiful.
    X A V I E R

This is beyond amusing.

Many on UC's board are furious about it returning to campus, and are saying they'd much rather play Dayton, and would just rather end the series with us.

So, we don't ever want to play Dayton again and would rather just play UC, UC doesn't want to play us anymore and would rather just play UD. I guess UD would be thrilled to get either XU or UC on the schedule, but currently doesn't play either of them.

....and there you have it.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    UC doesn't want to play us anymore and would rather just play UD.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 2 or 3 whack jobs on the UC chat board who don't want to play us...do not in fact represent the majority of UC fans (who I suspect are glad the rivalry game is continuing).
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post

As to the choice between UC and UD, this should clear it up if you are relatively new to the series.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
    "This is the Golden Girls versus the Kardashians." What on earth is that quote supposed to mean? Are we the Golden Girls? Is UC the Karashians?
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Hopefully we're the Golden Girls. DFW would approve.