Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Donald Sterling banned for life

Adam Silver did an outstanding job in the press conference. He set the tone for his tenure as NBA commish, and it will be interesting to see how easily Sterling leaves his post as owner of the Clippers.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...s-life-ban-nba
    Last edited by nuts4xu; 04-29-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Is this a complete overreaction to what Sterling said? I'm not endorsing what he said, of course, but is it really worthy of a lifetime ban? If he hadn't have been such an awful owner otherwise, would this have happened to Sterling? I get that for the NBA it's more important than it may be for some other businesses to be clear that they will not tolerate discrimination against blacks.

I know I have my biases and prejudices, but I'd certainly like to think that I'm not racist. But is being racist actually the worst thing in the world? These days, it seems like it is.

The NBA didn't have much of a choice. They had to make a statement, and that is exactly what they did. The overwhelming majority of the NBA is black, and it would have been a slap in to the face to the league employees if they didn't come down hard on Sterling.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

I tend to think this is a sort of lifetime achievement award based on Sterling's history. If this was his first offense he probably would have been suspended for a year or so and fined. I'm sure part of it was also the fact that he is such a terrible owner and they wanted him out.

I also agree that the NBA has to be more sensitive to this sort of thing than other major sports. And I also agree that society is much, much more sensitive to this sort of thing than it used to be, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Sophomore
    Probably one of the biggest "events" to happen in the past 20 years at least, thought Sterling did a great job especially considering he's only been in the job several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    thought Sterling did a great job
    Racist! :)

Junior
    Ban Hammer!
    zip em up

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Is this a complete overreaction to what Sterling said? I'm not endorsing what he said, of course, but is it really worthy of a lifetime ban? If he hadn't have been such an awful owner otherwise, would this have happened to Sterling? I get that for the NBA it's more important than it may be for some other businesses to be clear that they will not tolerate discrimination against blacks.

I know I have my biases and prejudices, but I'd certainly like to think that I'm not racist. But is being racist actually the worst thing in the world? These days, it seems like it is.
    He was guilty of much worse in the past. So I'm not sure why all of a sudden this was the straw that broke the camel's back but it's a good thing in the end.

In his defense Sterling and Silver do seem to go hand in hand...
    Long Live the X.

Donald Sterling is a racist asshole and a terrible owner, and the association is surely better off without him. But expelling someone for what they think or say in a private conversation is a hell of a precedent to set. I can't pity the guy by any means, but I don't know if I feel comfortable saying they made the "only correct call." I agree with Mark Cuban's take on this. It's a slippery slope. If there's one lesson I'm taking away, it's that after I win the lottery and become a multi-millionaire and pro sports owner, I'm going to be really, really careful about my relationships with the gold-diggining whores of the world.