Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    How do you know that??? We wouldn't have been this year or last. The question isn't whether Semaj is better than Dee (I think we can all agree he is). The question is whether the TEAM is better off having Dee on the floor or Semaj's replacement at the 2. That answer gets more difficult to answer next year, but since Semaj's replacement at the 2 (whoever it is) almost certainly hasn't played a game at X yet, it's asking a hell of a lot to expect Mack to answer it now.
    We have lots of options at the 2 next year. M Davis, Abell, Bluiett

Addtionally, Semaj is a PG. Period end of story.

Back to the crux of the issue.......having Semaj here in any capactiy is certainly a hell of a lot better than not having him. I expect the coach to work through these kind of issues and find a way to make it work.

Ronnie Johnson (Purdue Transfer) on campus today

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    We have lots of options at the 2 next year. M Davis, Abell, Bluiett
    Like I said two of those have never played a game in a Xavier uniform. And the third didn't come close to cracking the Dee/Semaj combo.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    How do you know that??? We wouldn't have been this year or last. The question isn't whether Semaj is better than Dee (I think we can all agree he is). The question is whether the TEAM is better off having Dee on the floor or Semaj's replacement at the 2. That answer gets more difficult to answer next year, but since Semaj's replacement at the 2 (whoever it is) almost certainly hasn't played a game at X yet, it's asking a hell of a lot to expect Mack to answer it now.
    I agree. In addition, it is absolutely wrong for a coach to let a player dictate the position he will play. Semaj could have "won" that position in practice if the team would be demonstrably better with him at the PG spot (with Dee on the bench) along side another player at SG. And if that happened, Semaj could have stayed and played PG. But as you say, it is not at all clear that the team benefits from this. And Semaj's request was ostensibly about prepping him for the NBA rather than what was best for the team next season.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Not to discredit the story, because I don't think it's made up of whole cloth, but I cannot imagine a scenario where Semaj wanted to come back and Chris wouldn't make it work. Seems more likely to me that Semaj discussed with Chris what the plan was for next year and it didn't jibe with what his advisors told him was necessary to raise his stock. I don't know Semaj personally but by reputation he is not a diva or a selfish kid, I can't imagine it was a "him or me" ultimatum.

Also I think it's really unfair to imply that Semaj isn't a high work ethic or team oriented guy because he has chosen to enter the draft and work rigorously to improve his stock. Blame the NCAA and/or the NBA for setting up negative incentives to these kids. Acting like Semaj returning to Xavier would have polluted the incoming class with me-firstism is a bit much.

Ronnie Johnson (Purdue Transfer) on campus today

Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    Not to discredit the story, because I don't think it's made up of whole cloth, but I cannot imagine a scenario where Semaj wanted to come back and Chris wouldn't make it work. Seems more likely to me that Semaj discussed with Chris what the plan was for next year and it didn't jibe with what his advisors told him was necessary to raise his stock. I don't know Semaj personally but by reputation he is not a diva or a selfish kid, I can't imagine it was a "him or me" ultimatum.

Also I think it's really unfair to imply that Semaj isn't a high work ethic or team oriented guy because he has chosen to enter the draft and work rigorously to improve his stock. Blame the NCAA and/or the NBA for setting up negative incentives to these kids. Acting like Semaj returning to Xavier would have polluted the incoming class with me-firstism is a bit much.
    Couldn't agree more.

I was more referring to Justin in that regard, but if the Semaj thing went down as rumored (which I agree sounds a little fishy) then I wouldn't want him around the Freshman players.
    Eat Donuts!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I

I also agree with your take on this. But the bottom line is that Chris had to let Semaj know that to be the team's PG next season, it would have to work for the team. Hence no guarantees.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

I absolutely don't believe this "rumor". If Semaj wanted to play more PG, I bet there could have been some shifting of the lineups during the game so he could get more PG experience? Doesn't add up on that level to me.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You mean Semaj didn't "earn" the starting PG job based on his performance the last two years?

Not sure what some of you are watching?
    Sorry, but I watched a Xavier team where Semaj wasn't the starting PG for two years. Dee Davis was, with Christon playing the 2. That was part of his concern. He wanted the starting PG spot and didn't want to return to play SG, as it wouldn't necessarily benefit his draft stock. I think Mack did exactly what he needed to do, tell Semaj he could compete for the spot with Dee. Do I think he would have won that spot? Absolutely. But I can't argue with a coach telling a kid he would compete for a starting job at a "new" position.

By no means am I implying that. In fact, if Semaj didn't feel he would get most, if not all, of his minutes at PG then I don't blame him for not returning. I think he heard that one of the concerns is his ability to run a team as the PG and returning would have provided the opportunity to show that...assuming he was the PG. However, if playing SG was going to be best for the team and that's where he might ultimately land again, it wasn't going to help his stock. I don't think that's the bad type of "me first" attitude. It's just making a decision based on the facts in front of you and, when deciding your future, it's automatically a decision based on you. I don't think he's ready for the NBA, but I also don't think another year at the 2 would necessarily benefit him either.