Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is/was your worst experience with a business?

As the title suggests, what would you consider the worst experience you have ever had with a business, either in your private life or in the business world?

Rant On. I am selling my home I owned before I got married, so my realtor (who is usually great) suggested painting the place. I agreed, but thought it was too late in the fall to do it. I had 5 different bids done on it, and after talking to the Painting company that she recommended highly, the owner said it wasn't too cold and that we should go ahead and paint, even though it was in the mid 50s. I knew that you can put in an additive that allows you to paint at colder temps, so I listened to the professional and went ahead with it, and he was the lowest bid by far. Of course there was massive cost overruns which brought his supposed lowest bid to second highest, but with the time of year and painting, he had me over a barrel. My fault, should have vetted the company better. Fast forward to mid February, and of course, the paint is peeling and cracking all over, looking terrible. So I call up the owner of said painting company, he comes out a month ago, agrees that it looks terrible and says as soon as the weather turns they will be out to fix it. Great.

Out he comes today, and demands $700 to fix the paint because "He couldn't predict the weather." even though the exterior paint hasn't lasted 6 months and he agreed to fix the problem 2 months ago. I told him to get off my property. I'm still apoplectic. Rant Off.
    Last edited by PM Thor; 04-08-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Where do I begin???

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    and he was the lowest bid by far....
    I am shocked, absolutely SHOCKED that you had a bad experience with the lowest bidder.

I had remodeling contractor that flat out vanished mid project. Fortunately, he was at a stopping point that didn't completely screw us and he had probably done more work than the 25% I had paid him for the project.

The next I heard about him was in the newspaper when he was indicted. I understand we got off lightly, as he had taken full payment on a much larger kitchen remodel in our neighborhood, gutted the kitchen and vanished with $20,000.

The other 9 bad experiences in my top ten all involve Meijer. I f**king hate that place. I think I am banned after my total meltdown over a shovel purchase gone sideways a few years ago. That place sucks so bad, I get mad just looking at the front of it. Especially the stupid looking one by Target by Ridge. Stupidest looking store front ever.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    I am shocked, absolutely SHOCKED that you had a bad experience with the lowest bidder.

I had remodeling contractor that flat out vanished mid project. Fortunately, he was at a stopping point that didn't completely screw us and he had probably done more work than the 25% I had paid him for the project.

The next I heard about him was in the newspaper when he was indicted. I understand we got off lightly, as he had taken full payment on a much larger kitchen remodel in our neighborhood, gutted the kitchen and vanished with $20,000.
    Yeah, should have known better, but trusted my realtor too much. Sufficed to say, she's totally pissed right now too, take it for what it's worth, but she said if he doesn't come and fix it, she won't use him again, and that's supposedly 20 references a year.

Time Warner - Basically any interaction I ever had with that company.

The worst was when I moved, I returned all of my Time Warner equipment. They later billed me for a cable modem. I called them explained that I moved and already returned all the equipment and gave them the receipt number from that event. CS rep told me I was good. I (stupidly) threw away that receipt thinking I was done with Time Warner for good. Then a month later they bill me again! Called back, CS rep wouldn't do anything, talked to her manager. She wouldn't do anything. She said she would listen to the previous phone call and call back. Never did. It was only somewhere between $25 - $50, so in the end I just gave up and paid it so I could officially be done with that crap company.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    Time Warner - Basically any interaction I ever had with that company.

The worst was when I moved, I returned all of my Time Warner equipment. They later billed me for a cable modem. I called them explained that I moved and already returned all the equipment and gave them the receipt number from that event. CS rep told me I was good. I (stupidly) threw away that receipt thinking I was done with Time Warner for good. Then a month later they bill me again! Called back, CS rep wouldn't do anything, talked to her manager. She wouldn't do anything. She said she would listen to the previous phone call and call back. Never did. It was only somewhere between $25 - $50, so in the end I just gave up and paid it so I could officially be done with that crap company.
    Yeah, I'll never use them again either. Last I moved I dumped them, went with DirecTV and Cincinnati Bell for internet. F TWC.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah, I'll never use them again either. Last I moved I dumped them, went with DirecTV and Cincinnati Bell for internet. F TWC.
    I thought TWC was horrible. Then I moved to Covington after graduation and got DirecTV with HughesNet for internet. Never ever get HughesNet!! In their contract they have a data use limitation, even though the advertise it unlimited cable, which makes you pay extra each month when you exceed the data given. Internet barley works after about 10 days each month, it is insufferable.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    It was only somewhere between $25 - $50, so in the end I just gave up and paid it so I could officially be done with that crap company.
    I would have politely asked them to sue me.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    This isnt my worst experience because I didnt have to fight too hard to rectify the situation but here it is.

Bought a couch from Macys Furniture when I moved into my new apartment in Oakley. The couch I bought I almost didnt get because it was pretty large and could not be taken apart in any way and I live on the second floor with no elevator. I shared this with the salesman but he assured me that the movers are paid to get big furniture into tight spaces and that at worst, if the couch doesnt fit, I can return it for a refund. Well the couch comes while I'm at work but my fiance was waiting at my apartment for the movers. The movers got it up and into my apt with a struggle and the couch was damaged in several spaces but they left it since I wasnt here and I couldnt see the damage. They said I had three days to decide if the damage was bad enough where I didnt want to keep the couch. Right away when I saw it I knew I wasnt going to keep the couch. Called Macys back told them I wanted to return the couch becuase it was damaged. They said ok we can send another one out. I said no thats ok the same thing will happen as the couch is to big to get to my apartment. The woman on the phone proceeded to tell me that now that they know it is difficult they can send three men to move the couch in. I tild her that would make no difference and that three men would even be able to all fit trying to move the couch up the steps. She then told me that they could send the smaller love seat version. I told her I did not want that and that I just wanted a refund as I was told I could get if the couch did not fit up the steps. Not to mention the love seat version was just as wide which was the major issue.

The woman on the phone then told me she could give me a refund but that there would be a restocking fee for the couch. I cant remember the exact % of the purchase but I remember it came out to $240. I was baffled. I said so your movers damaged the couch and another, they cant try another one because it wont matter as the couch barely fit up the steps, and now to get a refund on the damaged couch I have to pay $240? I told her I was not going to pay that fee and there had to be another way around this. She then told me I should really have another couch delivered and that they would send out three men, assuring me that this would solve the problem. I then asked to speak with her manager and while on hold for 5mins and trying to get prepared to fight with the manager she came back onto the phone and told me the restocking fee was waived and they would be back to pick up the couch and I would get a refund.

I cant even fathom how returning a damaged couch for a refund would result in a $240 fee. I bet there are a certain number of people who dont even fight that and Macys just collects a ton of free money. Anyone who asks to speak with a manager I am sure is refunded without fee but I'm sure a large enough % of pl doesnt so Macys makes off pretty good. Amazing.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Ethan Allen.

We bought a desk from Ethan Allen and roughly a year later the finish was peeling off. They sent their technician out to look at it and he said that the peeling was due to the oils on our hand interacting with the finish on the desk. As a result, he said that the peeling doesn't fall under their warranty. It's a desk - are we not supposed to touch it and do work on it? I complained to the store manager at Ethan Allen who has not returned my calls. At that time, she said that she would look into it and "that it might take awhile". It's been almost 2 years now.

Never again will I buy anything from Ethan Allen. It pisses me off that they still send me catalogs.