Thread: 3 PT Defense

Supporting Member

3 PT Defense

Looking at conference stats only, teams essentially focus either on 2PT defense or 3PT defense, to the relative detriment of the other. Villanova (1st against 2PT, 7th against 3 PT) and Xavier (3rd against 2PT, 8th against 3PT) focus on 2PT defense. Indeed there is only ONE team -- St. John's -- that is in the top 4 in both categories. This begs the question of whether a greater focus on defending the three would hurt the 2PT%.

Interestingly, the correlation is the opposite on the offensive side. Creighton and Villanova are #1 and #2, respectively, in both 2PT% and 3PT%. Xavier also shows up well, being 3rd in 2PT% and 5th in 3PT% (though some think our 3PT% is bad).

Profson posts this kind of stuff just to lord his Pick the Score acumen over us.
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    Looking at conference stats only, teams essentially focus either on 2PT defense or 3PT defense, to the relative detriment of the other. Villanova (1st against 2PT, 7th against 3 PT) and Xavier (3rd against 2PT, 8th against 3PT) focus on 2PT defense. Indeed there is only ONE team -- St. John's -- that is in the top 4 in both categories. This begs the question of whether a greater focus on defending the three would hurt the 2PT%.

Interestingly, the correlation is the opposite on the offensive side. Creighton and Villanova are #1 and #2, respectively, in both 2PT% and 3PT%. Xavier also shows up well, being 3rd in 2PT% and 5th in 3PT% (though some think our 3PT% is bad).
    While our 3pt % is the middle of the pack for the conference, without looking I'm guessing that we'd be at or right near the bottom in both 3's made and attempted. I think that is part of the problem.
    "This [basketball] is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators." - Dick Vertleib

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    Profson posts this kind of stuff just to lord his Pick the Score acumen over us.
    Mel,

If we have the pleasure of meeting, I will tell you the secret and you will not find the "prowess" at all impressive ...

I will be at the tournament rooting for the good guys/

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarcia View Post
    While our 3pt % is the middle of the pack for the conference, without looking I'm guessing that we'd be at or right near the bottom in both 3's made and attempted. I think that is part of the problem.
    You are correct, but again the offense is not the problem. In conference, Kenpom has us 8th in defensive efficiency. We are quite low in TO%, 3PT% defense, steals and blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    You are correct, but again the offense is not the problem. In conference, Kenpom has us 8th in defensive efficiency. We are quite low in TO%, 3PT% defense, steals and blocks.
    The offensive problem is we are not taking/making enough 3's. If we shoot 33% from 3 which we are better than that this year, you'd have to shoot 50% on 2's to get the same amount of pts. I'm saying we may have to chuck up a few more 3's even after the dreadful shooting performances this past week.
    "This [basketball] is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators." - Dick Vertleib