Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Underclassman Bench

Just put this together to give some stats on our bench that doesn't seem to be producing much lately (save Jalen, who's actually starting right now).

In some ways it makes sense that the ones that don't produce go to the bench…they should.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Our bench is either very young, or limited in talent, so it's not really a surprise. Myles was contributing early on but seems to have fallen into a shooting slump. He's not very quick for a guard so if he's not making shots he's not contributing. Farr is similar in that he is limited defensively. He provides a nice option to stretch the defense if he is hitting shot, but he hasn't been lately. Randolph is a bit of an enigma. I expected a little bit more from him than we have gotten, but he is still very young.
    Eat Donuts!

Farr played OK defense against Villanova. He is not making shots now however. Myles has just stopped making shots totally. Brandin Randolph has regressed big time. I don't know where the kid's confidence has gone, but is sure is no where near the player we saw confidently taking and making a huge three against the Borecats.

Since January 1 in conference play, Myles Davis is 13-50 from 3 point range. That is 26% folks and not good. In the same period, James Farr is 5-22- 23%- and hasn't made a 3 point shot since the Villanova game there on February 3...that's over a month, folks.

With that kind of shooting, I'm almost amazed that XU has done as well as it has. Our bench is giving us nothing at all, other than Jalen Reynolds. Maybe all the shots will fall in MSG. It would be a good time for percentages to even out.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I'm not necessarily down on any of these kids - They are all still young.

Myles Davis in particular is a Freshman who didn't play organized ball last year, or even practice with the team. Next year is the year that I expect for him to contribute if he is going to make it at Xavier over the long haul.

There should be some serious competition for playing time next year with some of the guys we have coming in, particularly in the event that Semaj stays.
    Eat Donuts!

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

I know all 3 are very young, but each is going in the wrong direction this year.

Both Farr and Davis are rushing their shots in many situations and missing badly from 3. Shooting is a lot about confidence and I dont think either has much right now.

Randolph still looks timid to me. Thats not unusual for a frosh though. I expect him to be a different player next year.

I agree that they are trending the wrong way. I think we have to be careful about looking too deeply at trends (particularly among Freshmen) for the following reasons:

1. The earlier games are often home games and often against teams that aren't all that good. I'll throw the UC game out as that was something of an anomaly. They show flashes against poor competition at home and we expect it to extend to better competition on the road.

2. Many Freshman seem to hit a wall about 2/3 of the way through the season their first year of playing ball. They aren't used to the rigorous schedule.

Myles and Brandon in particular are going to have some serious competition next year. I don't think Farr is going to have quite a much competition for PT next year at his position, but he still has work to do.
    Eat Donuts!

Stop with the excuses. We dont need any of them to hit 10-15 a game. If just one would step up it would be a huge difference. If between Myles, Farr, Randolph each could chip in a few buckets a game it would help immensely. It is really holding us back that we cant put those guys in with confidence that there isnt a huge drop off in production. I am sure Mack isnt sitting there making excuses (well usually 2/3rds into the year my young scholarship players dont produce anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by SpectorJersey View Post
    Stop with the excuses. We dont need any of them to hit 10-15 a game. If just one would step up it would be a huge difference. If between Myles, Farr, Randolph each could chip in a few buckets a game it would help immensely. It is really holding us back that we cant put those guys in with confidence that there isnt a huge drop off in production. I am sure Mack isnt sitting there making excuses (well usually 2/3rds into the year my young scholarship players dont produce anything.)
    No, he's making excuses about the schedule.

I think it interesting how, with some freshmen, this part of the season means "You aren't (or shouldn't be) a freshman anymore" while others "hit the wall" - which I think is a legitimate concern. I just think, unfortunately, we happen to have more of the latter than the former.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Watching the young guys struggle doesn't give me warm fuzzies thinking about next year if Semaj is gone. We'll have talented guys coming in, but we cannot count on them TOO much.