Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Really now? Uh....

Since January 1 both JMart and Dez are averaging exactly 14.2 ppg. JMart is averaging 6 RPG vs Dez 3.6. Dez is averaging 2.4 turnovers a game vs JMart's 2. Dez does have 2.5 assists per game vs JMart's 1. JMart is hitting 38% from 3 land. Dez is shooting 31%. They both have had 3 non double figure scoring games. So consistency is a wash with almost equal stats in comparable conferences.

Oh, JMart also scored 17 vs SucKS..arguably our biggest game of the year and his defense has been superb.

Get off your unhealthy obsession with Dez. JMart has been playing great and don't go overboard thinking that Dez would have done so much better. It would have helped the depth, but not necessarily the overall results.
    No doubt this is only a fantasy and not worth spending too many brain cells on, but have you considered that on this team Dez would be a 2 and not a 3 so he would be taking many of Dee's and Myles' minutes instead of Justin's? Dez is a swing man and played the 3 for XU only because Tu and Lyons had to be accommodated in the back court. And of course Semaj is a PG.

The basic configuration would have been Semaj, Dez, Justin. Significant uptick in athleticism, size and firepower. No problem with big BE guards. When one of them sits, Dee comes in, or Myles if you need the threat from 3. Right now if any of Justin, Dee or Semaj sits, including for foul trouble, Mack is reduced to freshmen Randolph or Myles. Avoids situations in which we have to play Myles in spite of the defensive negatives. If we go small you have Dee, Dez, Semaj, Justin, much better than now. Another aspect -- that group allows us to press.

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    No doubt this is only a fantasy and not worth spending too many brain cells on, but have you considered that on this team Dez would be a 2 and not a 3 so he would be taking many of Dee's and Myles' minutes instead of Justin's? Dez is a swing man and played the 3 for XU only because Tu and Lyons had to be accommodated in the back court. And of course Semaj is a PG.

The basic configuration would have been Semaj, Dez, Justin. Significant uptick in athleticism, size and firepower. No problem with big BE guards. When one of them sits, Dee comes in, or Myles if you need the threat from 3. Right now if any of Justin, Dee or Semaj sits, including for foul trouble, Mack is reduced to freshmen Randolph or Myles. Avoids situations in which we have to play Myles in spite of the defensive negatives. If we go small you have Dee, Dez, Semaj, Justin, much better than now. Another aspect -- that group allows us to press.
    Yes, I considered it. Semaj will be a PG at the next level, but he is better off the ball right now. When Dee Davis is out of the lineup, you can see how Xavier struggles to score many times because the defense can focus on the guy with the ball. Dee facilitates the offense better and Semaj is better driving at angles because he draws more fouls and guys have to slide over as opposed to having him drive from up top.

Again, from a depth standpoint, we would be better off given Myles' recent struggles, but it is also very possible that JMart would not have become what he is now if he had to come off the bench all year.

In any event, speculating on what might have been is just that...speculation. All I know is - in answer to GG's stament that JMart and Dez can't be compared- that statement is patently false based on actual performance results. JMart compares very favorably.m
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

So, we all realize that every single prognostication service for the NCAA tournament has us IN the bracket, right? There seems to be a ton of doom, gloom, and strife about a team that exceeded what most in the national media thought they would do and is probably going to be in the tournament.

I know we're all used to favored seeds and having things locked up by now, but how you can be anything but optimistic about the future, both this year and beyond, I have no idea.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just a couple weeks ago everyone was saying how they'd rather be a 10 or 11 seed than an 8/9 seed. Well part of being that kind of seed is sweating out Selection Sunday.
    "It's winning time"~Jason Love

I'm not thinking JMart or Dez, I'd love to see JMart AND Dez. Sadly, that was not to be...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    So, we all realize that every single prognostication service for the NCAA tournament has us IN the bracket, right? There seems to be a ton of doom, gloom, and strife about a team that exceeded what most in the national media thought they would do and is probably going to be in the tournament.

I know we're all used to favored seeds and having things locked up by now, but how you can be anything but optimistic about the future, both this year and beyond, I have no idea.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I wasn't aware of that.

Jeff Borzello said we "have work to do" in the BE tournament and Jerry Palm said we would need to win the Big East.

Obviously, Palm is smoking something to say that (I think if we win in the quarterfinals vs Marquette/St John's we'll be good), but are squarely on the bubble. Finishing the season 0-3 and one of those a sub 150 loss, would probably put us on the wrong side.

Can anybody review the recruiting classes of Coach Mack for me? I recall Jay Canty and Jordan Latham from the first one, then maybe Griffen McKenzie and Justin Martin in year 2, but I can't flesh these out. Who were the others?

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCoker View Post
    Can anybody review the recruiting classes of Coach Mack for me? I recall Jay Canty and Jordan Latham from the first one, then maybe Griffen McKenzie and Justin Martin in year 2, but I can't flesh these out. Who were the others?
    Semaj and Dez, and I think you need to consider Stainbrook. A guy that basically got kicked off Eastern Michigan. Mack brought him in and he is huge for X, can't wait to see him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCoker View Post
    You can change the year and look at each recruiting class back to 2002. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...id=352&yr=2002

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You can change the year and look at each recruiting class back to 2002. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...id=352&yr=2002
    Geez, I really miss some of those guys! It also makes it abundantly clear that how many stars you come in with has little to do with how much success you have. (Except for next years class, of course)
    Last edited by xu82; 03-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.