Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    I don't disagree with his opinions on the two conferences, it just shouldn't have been said.
    I both disagree with his opinion AND think it should not have been said. Could Georgetown be #2 or #3 in the A-10? Sure. They could also be #6. To say that "it's not even close" is the part where I really think Mack was talking out his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by beatuc View Post
    After watching their flagship program lose three in a row I totally agree Georgetown would finish first. I don't really have a problem with what Mack said at all. There is more NBA talent and coaching top to bottom in the BE compared to the A-10 and that's not even close. Even last place teams in the BE have talent.
    The flagship program who is looking for the exits? I think Xavier took the term with them.

Quote Originally Posted by El Shaqtus View Post
    The flagship program who is looking for the exits? I think Xavier took the term with them.
    Okay, well then St. Louis is the marquee program this year and they aren't that special.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Here is a thought....

Christi Mack is inducted into the Dayton HOF at Senior Night this Saturday at the dayton vs Richmond. The last time she attended a game there, the crowd heckled her so badly she left in tears. This is one of the best female basketball players the school has ever had, and they gave her so much crap she couldn't take it.

Fast forward 12+ months, and her husband, long hated for his antics against dayton while playing for Evansville, will reportedly be in attendance with her on Saturday.

After the comments Coach Mack made last night, I hope they simply boo her and the family, and the mouthbreathers save their cuss word filled rants for the Richmond fans.

Should be interesting for sure....
    This is a good example of one reason why saying what Mack said is stupid and unprofessional. Saying these kinds of things comes back to bite you in the ass at the most inopportune times.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Supporting Member
    For Mack to say what he said is completely ridiculous. I am sure that Mack continually preaches to his team to worry about what you are doing and not what some other team is doing. Maybe he should heed his own advice and focus on the fact that they lost to a .500 not just once but twice and not worry about what conference is better or not.

The fact of the matter is..he may be right but that isn't the point. The committee isn't all of a sudden going to be "well Mack said his conference is better than the A-10 so we need to make sure we have more teams in it than the A-10" It's a stupid, whiny thing for Mack to say and something that us here maade fun of and continue to do so when it came out of Mick's mouth. His statement doesn't do anyone any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    For Mack to say what he said is completely ridiculous. I am sure that Mack continually preaches to his team to worry about what you are doing and not what some other team is doing. Maybe he should heed his own advice and focus on the fact that they lost to a .500 not just once but twice and not worry about what conference is better or not.

The fact of the matter is..he may be right but that isn't the point. The committee isn't all of a sudden going to be "well Mack said his conference is better than the A-10 so we need to make sure we have more teams in it than the A-10" It's a stupid, whiny thing for Mack to say and something that us here maade fun of and continue to do so when it came out of Mick's mouth. His statement doesn't do anyone any good.
    I can't imagine he thought he was influencing the committee. It seemed to be aimed at writers and analysts who previously extolled the BE's depth and now believe it's a 2-bid league.

I don't think he should have said it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal and don't think anyone really cares.

Then again, this is the 105th post in this thread, so maybe it is a big deal and people do care.

I probably say something that I shouldn't say at least once or twice a day. Maybe more. When you get down to it, a coach is saying that his team and conference are better than other teams in other conferences. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if Kevin Ollie were put on the spot and had to take sides, he's day that the new American Conference is every bit as competitive as the old Big East, and that most of the strongest programs from the old Big East are still there. He coached in both leagues, so he knows.

It's humorously, and somewhat pathetically, predictable that a coach will vouch for their own team and conference. While at Memphis, John Calipari talked at length about how tough Conference USA was to anyone who would listen, and how it was hard to go on the road and be everyone's showcase game.

It doesn't do any good. No one listens, and the people who do listen aren't going to change their minds about what they think of a team and conference. You just come off looking like an agenda driven coach with no objectivity whatsoever. That's why I don't think he should have said it....but I really don't care that he did.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't think he should have said it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal and don't think anyone really cares.

Then again, this is the 105th post in this thread, so maybe it is a big deal and people do care.

I probably say something that I shouldn't say at least once or twice a day. Maybe more. When you get down to it, a coach is saying that his team and conference are better than other teams in other conferences. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if Kevin Ollie were put on the spot and had to take sides, he's day that the new American Conference is every bit as competitive as the old Big East, and that most of the strongest programs from the old Big East are still there. He coached in both leagues, so he knows.

It's humorously, and somewhat pathetically, predictable that a coach will vouch for their own team and conference. While at Memphis, John Calipari talked at length about how tough Conference USA was to anyone who would listen, and how it was hard to go on the road and be everyone's showcase game.

It doesn't do any good. No one listens, and the people who do listen aren't going to change their minds about what they think of a team and conference. You just come off looking like an agenda driven coach with no objectivity whatsoever. That's why I don't think he should have said it....but I really don't care that he did.
    Well stated. People say things they wish they wouldn't have all the time. Mack is showing his appreciation for the teams in his league. Why wouldn't he?

I don't think he had to reference the A-10 to make his point, but this doesn't make Mack any less of a coach or anything stupid.

Most peoples concept of "cheering" for xavier basketball on here is absolutely pathetic. Im sure happy I never ever have to go to war with you people fighting on my side. You really don't grasp the all for one mentality I guess. Just two games ago the same people who are writing the team off and throwing the coach under the bus were talking tourney run and praising mack. Then we lose our big man and lose to the #6 team in the nation and now the program needs a major overhaul. Lighten up drama queens! This isnt the jerry springer show. Your not babies daddy. RELAXXX! Let the season play out and spare us your crying and babble and cheer on our team in the NCAA tourey this year. Please join us it's going to be a wild ride!

Quote Originally Posted by brownlavender View Post
    Most peoples concept of "cheering" for xavier basketball on here is absolutely pathetic.
    Ha, I love a good "I'm a better fan than you" speech. More please!