Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "N" Word

Agree with Kahns. The NFL is a business, they have every right to limit their employees from using derogatory words at "the work place." I don't think there needs to be any further justification.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Like xubrew, I don't watch the NFL either. But I will say that I think the controversy about the word "nigger" is way overblown. Maybe it's because I'm in my 20's, whatever, I just don't get why white people want to be able to say "nigger".

It's great, a bunch of stuffy, pompous, rich white folks came up with the word in the first place. Now that African Americans want to use the word in their everyday speech, a bunch of stuffy, pompous, rich white folks are trying to keep them from using it.

Its NFL football, this ain't a tennis match! The NFL field has some of the most offensive language known to man. I wouldn't recommend using the N word on the field if you are a cracker honkey like me, but if the word is used on the field, let the players police themselves with their language. If someone that shouldn't be using that word, happens to drop it on the field, I am quite sure there will be consequences from their teammates as well as the opponent. If those who want to use that word in a playful manner, then in this day and age it should be tolerated.

I can't relate to the awful hateful history of that word, and never saw the pain the word caused those who fought hard for civil rights. It seems to me the word has many different meanings to different people. If you don't think it is appropriate to use the word, then it probably isn't.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    Like xubrew, I don't watch the NFL either. But I will say that I think the controversy about the word "nigger" is way overblown. Maybe it's because I'm in my 20's, whatever, I just don't get why white people want to be able to say "nigger".
    This has a lot less to do than white dudes wanting to drop an N bomb, than NFL and it's legislative reach. This is about a private entity (which enjoys anti-trust exemption) telling black dudes that it will cost them yardage if they partake.

Maybe it's because you're in your 20's, but I'm wondering if this campaign about "white privilege" (guilt) which made you jump right to your comment on the everyday white guy, when this argument is 99% about the NFL and black guys using it on the field.
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!

I have no issues with the NFL telling their employees that it is not permissible to use the king of racial epithets in the workplace. I realize that their "office" is different than most of ours, but nobody of any race is going to be able to say that word without repercussions in most workplaces in America.

And especially if that word come out in the TV broadcast, then it is an even better reason for them to try and keep it out of the vocabulary,

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Delkus View Post
    This has a lot less to do than white dudes wanting to drop an N bomb, than NFL and it's legislative reach. This is about a private entity (which enjoys anti-trust exemption) telling black dudes that it will cost them yardage if they partake.

Maybe it's because you're in your 20's, but I'm wondering if this campaign about "white privilege" (guilt) which made you jump right to your comment on the everyday white guy, when this argument is 99% about the NFL and black guys using it on the field.
    You're right, I was just taking the opportunity to get on my soapbox. To the matter at hand, yes, I do think the NFL has the right to do this.

You're right, I was just taking the opportunity to get on my soapbox. To the matter at hand, yes, I do think the NFL has the right to do this.
    Obviously the NFL has the right, but I don't think it changes that it's bullshit. They're doing it simply to look good and seem like their proactive against discrimination when in fact they let discrimination, homophobia, etc. run rampant for years. Only when people call them on their bullshit do they do anything about the problem. And technically they aren't even doing anything. It's a bunch of rich, white people telling black guys that they can't call other black guys a word about black guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Obviously the NFL has the right, but I don't think it changes that it's bullshit. They're doing it simply to look good and seem like their proactive against discrimination when in fact they let discrimination, homophobia, etc. run rampant for years. Only when people call them on their bullshit do they do anything about the problem. And technically they aren't even doing anything. It's a bunch of rich, white people telling black guys that they can't call other black guys a word about black guys.
    I'm pretty sure I agree with everything you've said here.

I'm pretty sure I agree with everything you've said here.
    Me too.

I don't think the NFL is doing to look good. I think they are doing it because it's a workplace issue, and they don't want to be sued. It's CYA all the way.

No homo.