Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All-BE Teams

Supporting Member

All-BE Teams

As the end of the regular season is but a week away, this topic is appropriate, so here goes:

POY: McDermott

ROY: Garrett (over Jordan)

COY: McDermott (he and Wright are in the 10 finalists for national COY)

First Team:

Cotton
    Christon
    Starks
    Pinkston
    Bell

Second Team:

DSR
    Dunham
    Gardner
    Edwin
    Marshall

Third Team:

Harrison
    Young
    Sampson
    Wragge
    Stainbrook

Honorable Mention (mostly to list candidates considered for the above teams): Arcidiacono, Woods, Batts, Henton, Teague

A few comments/reasons:

The G'town guards are that high because of the load they have to take on every night, and they have done it well, but I did waffle on DVR between 2nd and 3rd team. I think Edwin is underrated by many, who do not consider his very high steals in addition to scoring. Gardner over Stainbrook because he is their #1 offensive player, whereas Stainbrook has Semaj. Harrison is overrated - high volume shooter, low %, does not make his teammates better. Wragge is a one-trick pony but an important pony for that team's style and he opens room for McDermott to operate. Sampson was considered for 2nd team (instead of Dunham or DVR) but by relying so heavily on the mid-range game he has not reached the potential (even as a soph) that he has. It would not take much to convince me to put Arcidiacono on the 3rd team -- he makes his teammates better and runs a tight ship.

Fire away.
    Last edited by profson; 02-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.

All-BE Teams

I think Wright should get COY. Not sure if he will but I'd have him over McDermott.

I think Martin should be at least honorable mention if not on one of the teams.

Sophomore
    I'd say martin over stainbrook. Especially looking at BE play. He's had a much bigger impact than Stain.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I think Wright should get COY. Not sure if he will but I'd have him over McDermott.
    Head to head, McDermott has beaten Wright by approximately a thousand points over two meetings. If I had a vote, and the teams ended up tied, that would certainly sway my vote.

All-BE Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    I'd say martin over stainbrook. Especially looking at BE play. He's had a much bigger impact than Stain.
    I don't think Stain gets the credit he deserves from Xavier fans. He's an All Big East level big.

Martin has been great -- that's why I said I though he should be Honorable Mention at minimum. But the 3 is a much deeper spot across the conference.

All-BE Teams

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Head to head, McDermott has beaten Wright by approximately a thousand points over two meetings. If I had a vote, and the teams ended up tied, that would certainly sway my vote.
    Good point. I just think 'Nova has exceeded expectations and that most of that is because of coaching. But I see your point and that will probably be the determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Lol what?

So if you are the player of the year, you don't get named to the first team all conference? Is this how it works?
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    So if you are the player of the year, you don't get named to the first team all conference? Is this how it works?
    Doug McDermott - honorable mention

Re: All-BE Teams

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowDownDBrown View Post
    Lol what?
    I don't know why that's laughable. It's pretty common, actually.

Creighton has exceeded expectations by taking a preseason top 3 team in the BE (just outside the top 25) and making them a top 10 team overall, 1st in the BE.

Villanova has exceeded expectations by taking a preseason 4th team in the BE (bubble team overall) and making them a top 10 team overall, 1st in the BE.

Villanova exceeded expectations more. That makes their coach a good candidate for COY.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk