Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Sounds like the people you hang around with are assholes.
    If you think that's what they sound like, then you should see what they look like.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

There will come a day, in the not to distant future I think, when the sports "talking heads" will say....." this is not your dad's Big East, but it's every bit as good as your dad's was"

Keep in mind that when they current BE lost the Syacuse, Louisville, and UConn programs, they ALSO got rid of the South Florida, Rutgers, and UC programs that had historically been at the bottom of the BE standings. ( yes, I know that UC was in the championship game last year, but for the first 6 years of membership in the BE they fared very poorly ). This had left the conference with great parity, and I think the performance the teams put on in the NCAA and NiT tourneys will bear out the quality of the teams in top 2/3rds of the current configuration. That quality will only continue to improve as there is an influx of new talent coming into the league next year. I would also expect that at least two more QUALITY programs ( sorry Dayton )are brought into the league over the next year or two, which will only increase the footprint this league has in the world of college basketsball in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    There will come a day, in the not to distant future I think, when the sports "talking heads" will say....." this is not your dad's Big East, but it's every bit as good as your dad's was"

Keep in mind that when they current BE lost the Syacuse, Louisville, and UConn programs, they ALSO got rid of the South Florida, Rutgers, and UC programs that had historically been at the bottom of the BE standings. ( yes, I know that UC was in the championship game last year, but for the first 6 years of membership in the BE they fared very poorly ). This had left the conference with great parity, and I think the performance the teams put on in the NCAA and NiT tourneys will bear out the quality of the teams in top 2/3rds of the current configuration. That quality will only continue to improve as there is an influx of new talent coming into the league next year. I would also expect that at least two more QUALITY programs ( sorry Dayton )are brought into the league over the next year or two, which will only increase the footprint this league has in the world of college basketsball in the future.
    I don't seem to be getting my point across. I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to figure out how to better explain it.

Do you think that anything that you listed above would have been unable to occur had we not called the conference the Big East?? I personally would rather not have people saying "This isn't you're daddy's Big East." I'd rather not have them even mentioning the old Big East. Whenever they do, they seem to be talking about what we aren't instead of what we are.

We're not the old Big East, and I'm totally fine with that. I don't know why it's so important to carry on something that we were never part of in the first place. Most of the teams weren't. I really don't consider Marquette and DePaul to be classic Big East teams either. We have pieces of the old Big East, but not all of it. I'd rather have all of something new and exciting than part of something that's fragmented. That's how we're looked at.

It's kind of funny, but I now feel the way that so many people around here felt for so many years. Screw the old Big East. I have a huge appreciation for it, but I don't feel the need to try and substantiate that what we have now is the same as what it was before. We're not the old Big East. We're our own thing. I'd rather be viewed as having our own thing than viewed as a fragmented and failed facsimile of something that is gone forever, and that we were never a part of.

I understand your point, and your question seems to be...."why keep the NAME, Big East?". Is that correct?

The reasons are simple.......first, if this group did not, then the teams currently in the AAC probably would have. 2nd...there is a value to a "brand". The brand itself carries some value because of name recognition. That value may well be seen in the recruiting success that the current BE teams have had this past year. It is also seen in the monetary value of the advertising and branding of the name. It is a matter of perception. Just compare the value of the name Big East vs. the value of the name American Athletic Conference (AAC). Combine that with the TV package and the ability to use MSG for the league tourney and the value of the NAME just continues to rise. It's all about name value and recognition. As a recruiter, one can walk into a gym and talks with a coach or player and not have to explain who or what your league is. They may not realize that Syracuse is no longer in the BE, but the still recognize the BE name. The same is true when trying to get advertising or sponsorship money. The person you are talking with will probably have heard the name Big East, even if they do not know who is still a member. That makes it easier to get them interested in spending their money to support you. From a BUSINESS standpoint, keeping the BE name vs trying to establish a new name is a no brainer.

I cannot think of a new conference name in the past 20 years that I didn't think was incredibly stupid. Summit? A-Sun? Horizon? AAC? C-USA? Mountain West? (okay, that may be the only one I don't mind)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I cannot think of a new conference name in the past 20 years that I didn't think was incredibly stupid. Summit? A-Sun? Horizon? AAC? C-USA? Mountain West? (okay, that may be the only one I don't mind)
    Don't forget the Great West, which featured NJIT.

Making it neither Great nor West, amirite?

All of this gets fixed when we get a team(s) into the FF and win one.
    All of it.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    All of it.
    It fixes the fact that NJIT was in the Great West? I suppose that was taken care of when the Great West folded and poor NJIT became the lone NCAA Division I independent (cue MHettel).

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    All of it.
    IF the Big East gets 2 in the Elite 8, I think that would be enough. And honestly, I think that's going to happen.

EDIT. And the NConf-USA flames out, which I too think will happen except for Louisville.