Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Requiem of the Big East

"You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'm sure this will turn into a "The Big East was great for so long, and got too big for it's own good. Football caused it's demise and will never be the same" type of thing. I'm betting there will be little mention of the "New Big East" and maybe one mention of X. It is ESPN after all.

A requiem is a mass for the dead, so I would say the title gives away that it's not going to shine a particularly positive light on the current Big East.

I'm sure that ESPn will say nothing about their role in luring teams to jump from one league to another.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    A requiem is a mass for the dead, so I would say the title gives away that it's not going to shine a particularly positive light on the current Big East.
    If saying that the Big East in its former configuration, with Syracuse, UConn, Lousiville, Georgetown, Villanova winning 7 national titles in 30 years, along with 5 national runner-ups, along with all the other miscellaneous other final four appearances, plus Pitt, St. Johns, Cincinnati, Marquette, etc. being the greatest basketball conference ever is not positive for the current configuration, then I would expect you are right.

But I don't think the film will say much of anything about the current configuration, because when the film was made there really wasn't much to say. I would bet that the current configuration had played many games when the film was completed. It still hasn't. No way to reasonably compare the two conferences.

This configuration is going to be really good. Whether it will live up to the history of the "old" conference remains to be seen.

Football and ESPN killed the "old" Big East. I wonder if the film will say that.

Banned
    Karma hit Xavier last night. They blackballed dayton out of the big east and then got blown out at UD Arena. Even though I've been a UD fan for 60 years, I also liked Xavier. UD and Xavier were like brothers. Then out came the knife in the back. Xavier , choke on the big east. Have a nice spring. Both Ud men and women are still playing big time basketball. I hope UD stays in the A10. We will play Xavier somewhere down the road. They can't hide forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyers forever View Post
    Karma hit Xavier last night. They blackballed dayton out of the big east and then got blown out at UD Arena. Even though I've been a UD fan for 60 years, I also liked Xavier. UD and Xavier were like brothers. Then out came the knife in the back. Xavier , choke on the big east. Have a nice spring. Both Ud men and women are still playing big time basketball. I hope UD stays in the A10. We will play Xavier somewhere down the road. They can't hide forever.
    I would hardly call it a knife in the back. From your perspective, what does UD add to the Big East that isn't already there? Also, if you think OSU is losing in the first round you might want to be careful in your prediction. OSU has only been put out three times in the first round in the NCAA since 1939.
    Last edited by XUBand; 03-19-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Really, you fucking moron? Does the Great Midwest ring a bell? Attached at the hip and all that great stuff? Go the fuck back into your little hell hole of a dying town and kiss my ass. Your program is third rate at best, you consistently pick the wrong assistant coach to be your head coach, and you live in the 60's when you had some semblance of a program. Have fun piddling yourselves in the A-10, which but the way, you wouldn't even be in if it weren't for us. We've moved past you and you're nothing but a fleeting memory in our rear view mirror.

By the way your arena is a fucking cesspit. First and last time I will EVER be there.

You can't be serious.