Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Requiem of the Big East

"You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'm sure this will turn into a "The Big East was great for so long, and got too big for it's own good. Football caused it's demise and will never be the same" type of thing. I'm betting there will be little mention of the "New Big East" and maybe one mention of X. It is ESPN after all.

A requiem is a mass for the dead, so I would say the title gives away that it's not going to shine a particularly positive light on the current Big East.

I'm sure that ESPn will say nothing about their role in luring teams to jump from one league to another.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    A requiem is a mass for the dead, so I would say the title gives away that it's not going to shine a particularly positive light on the current Big East.
    If saying that the Big East in its former configuration, with Syracuse, UConn, Lousiville, Georgetown, Villanova winning 7 national titles in 30 years, along with 5 national runner-ups, along with all the other miscellaneous other final four appearances, plus Pitt, St. Johns, Cincinnati, Marquette, etc. being the greatest basketball conference ever is not positive for the current configuration, then I would expect you are right.

But I don't think the film will say much of anything about the current configuration, because when the film was made there really wasn't much to say. I would bet that the current configuration had played many games when the film was completed. It still hasn't. No way to reasonably compare the two conferences.

This configuration is going to be really good. Whether it will live up to the history of the "old" conference remains to be seen.

Football and ESPN killed the "old" Big East. I wonder if the film will say that.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Media: I thought you were dead
    Big East: Not Hardly
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Reports of BE death are more than slightly exaggerated. Numerous commentators not influenced by ESPN have other opinions. Right now, it's best thing happened to Xavier. I said earlier in the season it was going to be a hard year and I didn't expect things to be this good. But as long as the nay sayers are with us, we'll always have Paris.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the current BE had a very good winning percentage in its OOC games, including wins over many teams from the major conferences, and is ranked either 3rd or 4th among all the conferences (depending on whose rankings you use). On top of that, ESPN's own recruiting rankings have 5 of the current BE schools in its top 40, and only 3 of the former BE schools within that same top 40 ranking.

Much much to early to say how the conference will fare in the NCAA tourney, but I do believe that it will remain a conference with serious capability of producing a national champion basketball team. This current conference would never have come into existence without a commitment by all the schools to be the best they can possiblity be....to be national caliper BASKETBALL programs. These schools did not join to be on the football gravy train of TV money. It is a BASKETBALL conference. That's it bread and butter and the schools know it. It's not going to be enough for these schools to just remain "competitive", while sucking up football money. They know that how they are able to compete on the NATIONAL scene is going to determine the success of the conference. I believe that point of emphasis will make it a very successful conference in the NCAA tourney and against all comers, for years to come. These schools have gambled everything on doing just that. Failure is not an option because they have nothing else to fall back on.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

I believe Axl Rose calls his current band Guns N Roses. It's not Guns N Roses, though. They're probably still a good band, but you almost wish they would just move on and call it something else.

I really love this league. I wish we wouldn't have called it the Big East. I know I'm probably the only person on here that feels that way, but it's not the classic Big East lineup, and I felt that if we tried to say that it was, fans and media would say the kinds of things that they're saying now. Instead of saying it's a new league that's good and exciting, they're saying that the league is not really the Big East. There are pieces of it, but it's not the same.

FWIW, I never thought of Louisville, DePaul, Marquette and UC as being classic Big East teams either, but I guess since so much of the classic Big East was still there, (Cuse v GTown, Pitt v WVU, Cuse v UConn, Nova v Georgetown, etc) it still felt enough like the classic Big East for people to accept it as the Big East. With it's current lineup, no one feels that it's the Big East anymore. Had we called it the Continental Athletic Conference, or the Big City Conference, or the Eastern Athletic Conference, or whatever cheesy name we could have come up with, I think peoples opinion of the league would actually be better. They wouldn't feel the need to continuously (and as much as I hate to say it, correctly) point out that it's not the classic Big East.

No one feels the need to point out that Velvet Revolver is not Guns N Roses.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-25-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

No one feels the need to point out that Velvet Revolver is not Guns N Roses.
    Only that Slash played in each band.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell