Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I would guess most everyone is watching playoff NFL this afternoon.
    This is a good point. Did Fox sell the rights to today's game to CBS? The ratings for today's game are going to be garbage up against NFL playoffs. Only people watching today will be the die hard X and Creighton fane.
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Absolutely.

Which, again, makes you wonder why they paid as much as they did.
    Content. If you are going to be taken to be a legitimate sports network, you HAVE to have live games.

The NFL, NBA, NHL are all spoken for as are the major conferences. Big East basketball delivers major, major markets and is the next best option, and while $50 million a year sounds like a ton, in the world of sports programming, it is reasonable. It will be important going down the road, that the league deliver at least 2nd and 3rd weekend NCAA Tournament teams on a consistent basis for credibility, but that is not critical THIS year.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Frank the Tank had this little tidbit this morning. Apparently, the NFL is putting the Thursday night games up for bid.

@frankthetank111: To give you an idea of what the NFL is worth, they’ll likely get $100 million Per Game for those mediocre Thursday night games.

Fox is only paying $50 mil Per Season for the Big East. It's all relative, man. Meanwhile the Borecats and Cryers get less from TV than us. Ha!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Regular season college basketball is filler. It's expensive filler, but filler nevertheless. I'm sure the ratings are disappointing, but up until now college basketball has been a solid 4th -- possibly 5th -- option on most sports fans' dialers (behind NFL, NBA, CFB, and -- depending on the region -- the NHL).

FS1 will be fine. This is just their "soft open". Did they overpay for their basketball product? Relatively against value, maybe. But they need programming and they need credibility. So it suits their needs. And while Rupert requires each of its divisions to be independently profitable, he also knows that it takes a while to make a foothold in a new market -- especially an monopolistic one. So he'll be patient. And in the meantime, the Fox Mother Ship ain't going anywhere.

I like FS1. I think their coverage and quality is excellent.

I'm also not surprised by the low ratings. It is exactly what I expected. Actually, they're slightly lower than I thought they'd be, but I didn't think the ratings would be good. It has gone pretty much the way that I thought it would.

When this contract is up, I do not think the Big East will get nearly as much money as they did this past go round. I don't think most of the other conferences who are locked in to contracts with other networks will either. The ratings just do not warrant spending that kind of money. No one else offered as much as Fox did, and next time Fox won't offer as much as Fox did. I've felt that way since before FS1 even launched.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. College basketball does well in individual media markets when a team from that market is playing. It does not do well nationally. The more games that are on TV, the more true that is. There were over 130 games on TV or internet stream in this past weekend alone. Fans watch the games that their teams are playing in, and pretty much just stick to that. When there are 100+ games on in a weekend, the viewership for any one particular game is going to be low. There aren't really any national conferences or programs.

So, because of that, I think the TV contracts for college basketball have topped out. The networks will lose money. Not just FS1, but all of them, and the contracts will be lower the next time around.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Agree to some extent Brew. I barely have time to watch X games. Where as a few years ago I would watch the "Games of the Week" or have them on in the background. As I've gotten older, I've got less and and less time to watch college basketball (or football for that matter). I wonder how much streaming is factoring into the ratings drop? Do they have a way to account for it?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    i'm definitely good with that. those guys sucked and so did that show

For what (very little) it's worth, I've been noticing Fox Sports on more and more TV's in bars and restaurants. Even caught a nice Big East special at lunch lately.
    Last edited by xu82; 02-23-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Sophomore
    Not sure what else they can do to get people watching, but these numbers are staggering:

Sports TV Ratings
    ‏@SportsTVRatings

Weds college hoops on ESPN:

Louisville/North Carolina: 2.131M
    Duke/Syracuse: 1.805M

Butler/Villanova on FS1: 284K