Happy Birthday Mr. Neutral- Gary Griffin RIP

Today would have been the Great Man’s 73rd birthday.
    Xavier Grad, Former Dana’s Bartender, Lawyer, Raconteur, Xavier SuperFan, Message Board Pioneer, Multiple Alias-er, avid Golfer, White Sox lover, Curmudgeon and, most importantly, close friend and Classmate.
    Gary was one of the best and funniest. Appropriate that his Birthday is on April Fools Day.
    There is a bench outside of Cintas with a plaque on it to memorialize this guy.
    One of the best. Keep helping XU from behind the curtain DAllen15.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    I've told this story before on Gary's birthday. I met him in Cincy one Homecoming weekend. We went first to Zips for burgers beer and chili. Then we went to various bars, and met up with some former X baseball player from Chicago that was a buddy of his. We ended up in a place right out of the Blues Brothers about 3 am. All evening I was laughing so hard my face hurt. He was the funniest guy I've ever known. He was up bright and early the next morning playing pick up basketball. He was just the best. Always a treat seeing him on his annual trips to Indy for X/Butler games. Hope he can put in a word to end our difficulties with the Blue Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I've told this story before on Gary's birthday. I met him in Cincy one Homecoming weekend. We went first to Zips for burgers beer and chili. Then we went to various bars, and met up with some former X baseball player from Chicago that was a buddy of his. We ended up in a place right out of the Blues Brothers about 3 am. All evening I was laughing so hard my face hurt. He was the funniest guy I've ever known. He was up bright and early the next morning playing pick up basketball. He was just the best. Always a treat seeing him on his annual trips to Indy for X/Butler games. Hope he can put in a word to end our difficulties with the Blue Demons.
    Thanks for that. Let me add that Gary was an avid Adam Dunn hater. :-)

HBD and RIP.

I think I may have met the guy on a Wrigley Field rooftop alumni event in the early 90s. Could that sound right? The guy I’m recalling was a Master Conversationalist.
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Sounds a little sus to me - the Gary Griffin we all know and love was a big White Sox fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    HBD and RIP.

I think I may have met the guy on a Wrigley Field rooftop alumni event in the early 90s. Could that sound right? The guy I’m recalling was a Master Conversationalist.
    He *may* have shown up just because “Xavier” but he was a dedicated Irish South Sider who abhorred the “Elitist” and Poser Cub fans and loved the Sox- the Workingman’s team.

Well, whoever the hell the guy was, he wasn’t there for the game.

Go X!
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    Well, whoever the hell the guy was, he wasn’t there for the game.

Go X!
    Then that was probably Gary!! :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Today would have been the Great Man’s 73rd birthday.
    Xavier Grad, Former Dana’s Bartender, Lawyer, Raconteur, Xavier SuperFan, Message Board Pioneer, Multiple Alias-er, avid Golfer, White Sox lover, Curmudgeon and, most importantly, close friend and Classmate.
    Gary was one of the best and funniest. Appropriate that his Birthday is on April Fools Day.
    There is a bench outside of Cintas with a plaque on it to memorialize this guy.
    One of the best. Keep helping XU from behind the curtain DAllen15.
    +1
    X A V I E R