Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JMart

JMart

May as well start a whole thread devoted to J. I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about for the next 3 months.

I've been as concerned about his play as maybe any Xavier guy for a long, long time, but I gotta give the kid props for maybe the best 6 minute defensive effort that I have seen from anybody for a long long time last night. Blocks, steals and pressure on the press that changed the game. He's long enough to have an effect in the press game and I think the chaotic type of game suits him better.

If we are going to use more press, I want him in there. I also liked that he recognized the double on Stain and made a quality cut to the basket. Good job last night, J.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

He's a starter and has been with the program for 3.5 years now. His play can/ will have a huge impact on the outcome of this season. I didn't watch the game, but will assume his play in OT help us win the game. Congrats Justin. Now, I wish I could say that I felt like he gives 110% all the time...........just don't see it and it looks like mentally he's not there all he time.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    He's a starter and has been with the program for 3.5 years now. His play can/ will have a huge impact on the outcome of this season. I didn't watch the game, but will assume his play in OT help us win the game. Congrats Justin. Now, I wish I could say that I felt like he gives 110% all the time...........just don't see it and it looks like mentally he's not there all he time.
    I don't think effort is an issue with him at all. I just don't think he likes to wear his emotions on his sleeve. And I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I don't think effort is an issue with him at all. I just don't think he likes to wear his emotions on his sleeve. And I'm fine with that.
    I just want him to play with more of a sense of urgency and confidence. At times he looks timid. At times he doesnt shoot when he's open. At times he doesnt take charge. Where he is at this point in his career, he should feel comfortable with his role....he should be confident that Mack thinks enough of him to start. Just dont' see that in him enough and thats where I come back to playing with some fire and emotion......whether or not he shows it externally, I dont care. I think what I'm trying to say is that I view him as having an indiffernt type of attitude, b/c thats what I see from him most if the time.

I'll agree with you on the confidence factor. A moment last night was a perfect example of it: He was wide open on the wing for a three-point shot but he paused and thought about it before actually taking it. The ball was well short. Honestly, his three-point percentage would probably be much better if he just took all his shots in rhythm and didn't pull over whether it was a good idea.

Sophomore
    Tale of two halves for J.Mart there.

Who knows what to think anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    Tale of two halves for J.Mart there.

Who knows what to think anymore.
    Agreed. The first half I was complaining about why he was even out there. Missing shots, turnovers, and bad decisions. The last six minutes, as MOR stated, was huge for us and we wouldn't have won without him on the court. That block down low on their foreign big guy was HUGE. He fouled out a minute or so later and he was a very good foul shooter. The guy that replaced him looked like Charles Barkley trying to swing a golf club. It was comical and big for us to have that dude in there instead.

JMart isn't pretty when he plays, but he came through for us big time.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Sophomore
    Tangent: I hated that Euro douche. He'd push someone in the back every rebound, then whine about fouls. He tried to act tough with Martin after JMart tied him up. For every push he got called for, 2 more went uncalled.

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    Tangent: I hated that Euro douche. He'd push someone in the back every rebound, then whine about fouls. He tried to act tough with Martin after JMart tied him up. For every push he got called for, 2 more went uncalled.
    Yup. There was one where he literally shoved a Xavier player to the ground on a rebound and somehow acted incredulous for the foul call. I'm sorry, what?

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    The guy was playing the role of Big Deli in the first half then he returned to Moskevicious in the second half.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell