Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting

Recruiting

Does anybody else find it interesting how much the recruiting game has changed, just a few years ago I wouldn't think that Duke would be taking so many one and done players, however after Kyrie, and the loaded class the Blue Devils have for last year the recruiting spectrum seems to be changing drastically. I think teams have to start competing with the likes of Kentucky in signing one and done players to compete. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure how much they need to compete with Kentucky. Sure, UK had a steallar team that won a title and had another that reached a Final Four, but they haven't been more successful under Calipari than Louisville has been under Pitino during the same time. And Pitino has not been landing one and dones at Louisville (I'm certain he's been recruiting them). Some coaches may THINK they have to change philosophies to deal with Kentucky, but there is still more than one way to skin a cat.

I don't think signing one and dones are done so much as to compete with Kentucky. I think there are just more kids now looking to make the jump sooner, so if you want the really good players you have to assume they're not staying too long.

I know it's not the case but it seems like the last 4-year player that was a lottery pick was David West.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Does anybody else find it interesting how much the recruiting game has changed, just a few years ago I wouldn't think that Duke would be taking so many one and done players, however after Kyrie, and the loaded class the Blue Devils have for last year the recruiting spectrum seems to be changing drastically. I think teams have to start competing with the likes of Kentucky in signing one and done players to compete. Any thoughts?
    As Brian Snow said on twitter, it's not just UK that is recruiting one and done players, everyone is. It's just UK that was landing most of them. Duke isn't a great place for one and dones because Coach K will play a 3-4 year guy over a freshman. Plus Coach K has had two off the top off my head in the last few years with Irving and Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    I don't think signing one and dones are done so much as to compete with Kentucky. I think there are just more kids now looking to make the jump sooner, so if you want the really good players you have to assume they're not staying too long.

I know it's not the case but it seems like the last 4-year player that was a lottery pick was David West.
    And West wasn't even a lottery pick (stupid NBA GMs!!).

I'm most interested to see how UK does next season. When these 5-6 kids all leave after this year, what does UK have coming in next year. From what I've read, it's somewhat of a downgrade to what they are used too. Does Cal stick it out? Or does he had to the Knicks (as has been rumored).
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Coach K use to only give one offer out to a player. If that player would decline, then he would give an offer to another kid. He wouldn't hand out 4 offers and take the first one to commit. That part of his recruiting changed several years back.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    As Brian Snow said on twitter, it's not just UK that is recruiting one and done players, everyone is. It's just UK that was landing most of them. Duke isn't a great place for one and dones because Coach K will play a 3-4 year guy over a freshman. Plus Coach K has had two off the top off my head in the last few years with Irving and Rivers.
    Coach K will play the best players that give him the best chance to win regardless of age. That goes for any coach out there. Like any coach, I'm sure he trusts upperclassmen more esp on defense, but he isnt bringing in top 10 players to ride pine. College coaches want the best talent, regardless of one and done. Any coach who would pass on a NBA talent bc its only for one year isnt doing their job. Remember Jcraw? 2 years and playing plus a redshirt year....in one year at X he put us on his back to the S16, any coach would take that whether is he a junior or a frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectorJersey View Post
    Coach K will play the best players that give him the best chance to win regardless of age. That goes for any coach out there. Like any coach, I'm sure he trusts upperclassmen more esp on defense, but he isnt bringing in top 10 players to ride pine. College coaches want the best talent, regardless of one and done. Any coach who would pass on a NBA talent bc its only for one year isnt doing their job. Remember Jcraw? 2 years and playing plus a redshirt year....in one year at X he put us on his back to the S16, any coach would take that whether is he a junior or a frosh.
    I think that players are sort of finding an appeal to stay at college for a couple of years before heading to the pros right away. While Wiggins has certainly made it clear he's going to go, guys like Smart and Harrison Barnes, and Sullinger, have all stuck it out for an extra season or so. It's not the case across board, but don't be surprised if a few of those guys stick around for a couple of seasons.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanxman04 View Post
    I think that players are sort of finding an appeal to stay at college for a couple of years before heading to the pros right away. While Wiggins has certainly made it clear he's going to go, guys like Smart and Harrison Barnes, and Sullinger, have all stuck it out for an extra season or so. It's not the case across board, but don't be surprised if a few of those guys stick around for a couple of seasons.
    From my perspective there seems to be a difference between some of the one-and-dones. If you're a potential one-and-done that decides to go to Duke, chances are you have done will with academics and have no problems with the student side of student-athlete. If you're a one-and-done heading to a place like Kentucky, chances are you're not interested in the academic side and may not value that student part of the equation. You're only goal is to play bball, do the absolute minimum to get through classes to stay eligible, and bolt to the NBA. This wont be the case for everyone, but it seems it would probably cover the majority.