Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sophomore
    If he knows he's a first round pick--he goes. If not, he should stay--and that's the good news/bad news situation given our scholly situation. Lots of time to see how it plays out. Lot depends on who else is looking good for the draft. Right now there are probably 4-5 freshmen that go in top 6-7 plus Smart from OK State leaving SC to be one of the remaining best 24 available--college and overseas. Possible, but in my mind he has to show some improvement in certain areas of his game. But he is young enough still to have the "potential" pro scouts like. So how he does in BE this year will be a big factor.

As much I love Semaj, I really hope he leaves after this year. We need to start getting some players to leave early for the NBA on a consistent basis so that we can keep the recruitng going strong and bring in elite talent to show that we can have them on the fast track to the NBA just like all of the other powerhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    But you act like every player doesnt't have weaknesses. Also, draft express does report those weaknesses while still projecting him as a first round pick. NBA teams will draft on athleticism and height over polish most of the time.
    What did I write in my posting that made you think that I "act like every player doesn't have weaknesses." I limited my discussion to Semaj and didn't compare him with anyone nor did I say that other potential draftees don't have weaknesses. I merely stated that the ones DX listed for Semaj were rather serious ones for a potential NBA point guard (which he would have to play). He may have to ride the pine for a couple of NBA seasons before he gets meaningful minutes if he continues to lack 3-point range, has trouble dribbling with his left hand, and can't sink at least 7 of every 10 free throws. If being wildly athletic was the main ticket to an NBA career, Romain Sato would likely be there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesbt4 View Post
    Please, don't compare Christon to Rondo. It isn't fair to Christon. Christon very well may get drafted in the first round, but he isn't 1/10th the caliber of point guard that Rondo is or was in college.
    GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    34 28 31.0 .482 .273 .571 6.1 4.9 2.0 0.1 11.2

All while leading a 13 loss UK team to a second round exit. Yeah Semaj definitely isn't 1/10th the caliber of Rondo's sophomore year....

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    What did I write in my posting that made you think that I "act like every player doesn't have weaknesses." I limited my discussion to Semaj and didn't compare him with anyone nor did I say that other potential draftees don't have weaknesses. I merely stated that the ones DX listed for Semaj were rather serious ones for a potential NBA point guard (which he would have to play). He may have to ride the pine for a couple of NBA seasons before he gets meaningful minutes if he continues to lack 3-point range, has trouble dribbling with his left hand, and can't sink at least 7 of every 10 free throws. If being wildly athletic was the main ticket to an NBA career, Romain Sato would likely be there now.
    I would rather sit the bench and make millions while developing my game than be in college not getting paid and having go to class.

A number of posters have named other point guards who did not shoot well in college, i.e. John Wall, MCW, Rondo, etc. And so far they all have been fine.

And Romain Sato is 6'4'', which is at best average height for a SG in the NBA if not below average. Semaj is listed at 6'3''. That's the difference. And Semaj is a much better athlete and player than Romain Sato was.

And Romain Sato is 6'4'', which is at best average height for a SG in the NBA if not below average. Semaj is listed at 6'3''. That's the difference. And Semaj is a much better athlete and player than Romain Sato was.
    I love Semaj, but I don't think this is true. Sato was a freak athlete who could light it up from the outside AND jump out of the gym. He certainly had his own weaknesses, but his game was better suited to playing SG at the next level (principally because of the "S" in SG).

Semaj will play in the NBA. I personally think it will be next year. But a lot can and will happen between now and then to determine that.

Coming back to school is usually a dumb move when you are most likely a first round pick. The guaranteed money is too much to pass up. And very rarely does anyone develop anything in college that he couldn't do in practice or the D League. I see no reason for Semaj to come back even if he is close to the same player as last year. John Wall wasn't a good shooter coming out of college and he's done alright.
    Do you honestly think Semaj, as the player we saw last year, is the equal to John Wall? I remember when D.Brown was told he was a surefire 1st Rd pick...until he wasn't. If Semaj doesn't show improvement over last year - meaning he's stuck in neutral and NBA teams might fear that he won't/can't develop more - I don't know that he's a 1st Rd pick. And, if he would be, why didn't he just leave after last year?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I love Semaj, but I don't think this is true. Sato was a freak athlete who could light it up from the outside AND jump out of the gym.
    However, there is still a legitimate debate over whether he could do so off one foot AND two feet.

Wait what Semaj hasnt improved as a shooter? He hasn't missed a 3 yet this year. Regardless of his weaknesses he is gone after this year unless he gets injured and the coaches know it. As for three point shooting that is a weakness for just about every NBA point guard. You can't teacha player to become a 6'3 freak athlete.

Draft Express view of Semaj

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Wait what Semaj hasnt improved as a shooter? He hasn't missed a 3 yet this year. Regardless of his weaknesses he is gone after this year unless he gets injured and the coaches know it. As for three point shooting that is a weakness for just about every NBA point guard. You can't teacha player to become a 6'3 freak athlete.
    Has he taken a 3? I'd need to check the stats to know for sure.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook