Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guy is the best. Love his calls and like some others, he's the only PA guy I can remember and I've been going to games for over 15 years.

Musketeer Madness had a nice article a couple years back that discusses the 3 point field goal call: http://musketeermadness.com/article.asp?ID=1565

I hope he stays another 20 years. Coaches and players come and go, but his calls tie a lot of different eras of Xavier basketball together.
    Last edited by West is Best; 11-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

This thread is making me think of some of my favorite PA lines and how he says some of the players' names. The # 1 for me will always be, "Daaaarrneellllllll Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllliams," when the starting lineup was announced.
    Coach Mack, "My wife thinks I'm strange for drinking Capri Suns. I think its strange they don't make them bigger than 6oz."

All-Conference
    I can't remember what bar I was at, but I ended up seated next to him not knowing who he was. For some reason the conversation shifted to Xavier hoops and he told me he was the announcer...and I didn't believe him. Then he went through all his "calls"..."three point field goal, three point field goal"...."we have a timeout on the floor"..."Justin DOELLLLLLLLLLLLLMAN"..."last touched by xxxx, Xavier to inbound"....and then we talked Xavier hoops and past games for 2 hours.

After this may years of hearing him, I find myself actually saying the exact same things when I announce my kids tournament games at their school....and I don't try to...it's just ingrained in my brain from going to so many games.

The man is a Xavier legend. I love the calls. It wouldn't be the Muskies without him. A Xavier Institution.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Snipe hit it on the head...I can't imagine going to a game and not hearing that voice. Sato, Sato for 3.

PA Guy

Quote Originally Posted by UnCaged View Post
    Snipe hit it on the head...I can't imagine going to a game and not hearing that voice. Sato, Sato for 3.
    Chalmers. Charmers for Xavier.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Christon forrrrrrr Xavierrrrrrrr

Herb is great.

When you put together his years on the mic, and that entire game crew --- Jerry Gels on the clock, Tom (51 seasons and counting as the official scorer) Grogan, and my classmate Dan Hogan on the scoreboard --- and throw in SID Tom Eiser, we have a great team with easily 200 years of experience.

No Butler Buffoonery in the Tas or the Gardens.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

PA Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Herb Bauer is as much a fixture as Joe and Byron.
    Agreed. Been going to XU games for 25 years (since I was 12) and he's the only PA voice I've ever heard, and want to hear, at home games.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides