Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Derrick Brown

Dont overlook a very important part of the decision he made.

There are only so many years available for someone to make money playing basketball. If you have the talent to make it a career- NBA, Overseas, wherever- then the sooner you start earning, the better off you are.

he had his degree, right? So the "cost" of staying at XU for another year would have essentially been equal to the amount of income he would earn in an average year playing. good decision on his part. Honestly, playing one more year at XU would not have improved his NBA prospects. He has "end of the bench" NBA talent.

I do disagree with the idea that he'd be the 3rd scorer at XU had he stayed. I think he's #2, and TU becomes more of a pass first PG.

You could easily find minutes on that team for DB. Dante Jackson played 26 minutes a game, and Andrew Taylor played 10. You could reduce DJ down to 20, take all of Taylor's minutes. You can take 5 minutes from McLean (he'd be at 20)and now you have 21 minutes for DB to play the 3 and 4. Robinson and Brian Walsh got 143 minutes between them, which translates to about another 4 minutes per game.

that team would have been LOADED.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Dont overlook a very important part of the decision he made.

There are only so many years available for someone to make money playing basketball. If you have the talent to make it a career- NBA, Overseas, wherever- then the sooner you start earning, the better off you are.

he had his degree, right? So the "cost" of staying at XU for another year would have essentially been equal to the amount of income he would earn in an average year playing. good decision on his part. Honestly, playing one more year at XU would not have improved his NBA prospects. He has "end of the bench" NBA talent.

I do disagree with the idea that he'd be the 3rd scorer at XU had he stayed. I think he's #2, and TU becomes more of a pass first PG.

You could easily find minutes on that team for DB. Dante Jackson played 26 minutes a game, and Andrew Taylor played 10. You could reduce DJ down to 20, take all of Taylor's minutes. You can take 5 minutes from McLean (he'd be at 20)and now you have 21 minutes for DB to play the 3 and 4. Robinson and Brian Walsh got 143 minutes between them, which translates to about another 4 minutes per game.

that team would have been LOADED.
    Amen. And that's my argument to the people who think Semaj may stay or should maybe stay. I say it's all BS and if he's even remotely close to a first round pick then go. Get paid now, worry about education and that other bullshit later. Even if Semaj is a flop in the pros, at least he was getting paid to be a flop. There is nothing really he or Derrick could do or could have done to change their chances in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Amen. And that's my argument to the people who think Semaj may stay or should maybe stay. I say it's all BS and if he's even remotely close to a first round pick then go. Get paid now, worry about education and that other bullshit later. Even if Semaj is a flop in the pros, at least he was getting paid to be a flop. There is nothing really he or Derrick could do or could have done to change their chances in the NBA.
    DB and Semaj are in slightly different situations in my view.

-DB was already graduated. So leaving with a year left of eligibility did NOT result in him not getting a degree. The only consideration that he had to make was whether staying an extra season at XU might have moved him into the first round and into some guaranteed money. Honestly, it would not have mattered for him, as I think it was evident that his quickness and shooting was not then, and would never, be NBA first round caliber. Bottom line is that if he stayed he'd have one less year of professional earnings and would not have been a first rounder.

-Semaj appears to have the option of coming out as a soph, a junior, or possibly as a senior. Coming out as a soph or junior puts the degree off until the future, and although it's easy to say that these atheletes can always "go back to school to finish their degree", the reality is that most of the time that never happens. To me, he should come out as soon as he's projected as a 1st round lock. Unlike Brown (quickness), Semaj's main weakness (shooting) is something that can actually be improved upon. Teams will gladly draft a guy with the size and explosiveness of Semaj with the idea that some specialized coaching can help improve the shooting. He really should hold out until he's a first round lock, including the possiblity that he goes as a senior (but WITH a degree).

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    DB and Semaj are in slightly different situations in my view.

-DB was already graduated. So leaving with a year left of eligibility did NOT result in him not getting a degree. The only consideration that he had to make was whether staying an extra season at XU might have moved him into the first round and into some guaranteed money. Honestly, it would not have mattered for him, as I think it was evident that his quickness and shooting was not then, and would never, be NBA first round caliber. Bottom line is that if he stayed he'd have one less year of professional earnings and would not have been a first rounder.

-Semaj appears to have the option of coming out as a soph, a junior, or possibly as a senior. Coming out as a soph or junior puts the degree off until the future, and although it's easy to say that these atheletes can always "go back to school to finish their degree", the reality is that most of the time that never happens. To me, he should come out as soon as he's projected as a 1st round lock. Unlike Brown (quickness), Semaj's main weakness (shooting) is something that can actually be improved upon. Teams will gladly draft a guy with the size and explosiveness of Semaj with the idea that some specialized coaching can help improve the shooting. He really should hold out until he's a first round lock, including the possiblity that he goes as a senior (but WITH a degree).
    I think you completely overrate having a degree. Lost opportunity at making even half a million is so much greater than the year or two it would take Semaj to go back and take his classes.

For big time college athletes, their success after basketball isn't dependent upon whether they have a degree, it's more on the work and attention they put into those classes. Plenty of guys are pushed through schools for the sake of maintaining eligibility but are worse off for it. Read the post on Deadspin about FSU football from yesterday.

Snow tweeted this not too long ago:

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 1h
    @bomani_jones @lockbox Not worth it, people can't grasp the concept that you get better in the NBA. It is lost on them
    I think this applies to Semaj. I would rather see him make money and improve in the NBA rather than play at XU.

Derrick Brown getting some love in this Euroleague GM poll - up there for most exciting player, best American, power forward - http://www.euroleague.net/euroleague...survey-part-ii

Sick dunk tonight from Derrick in the Euroleague. Put his team up 1 with 10 seconds to play, but CSKA came back and hit two free throws to win it. Still, watching him throw this down live was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almCC0oLCZc

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    Sick dunk tonight from Derrick in the Euroleague. Put his team up 1 with 10 seconds to play, but CSKA came back and hit two free throws to win it. Still, watching him throw this down live was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almCC0oLCZc

The man. Still think he has what it takes to make it back to the NBA some day. Then again, from what I've previously read, he's pretty well paid in Europe. Probably makes more than he would on the NBA minimum sitting on the bench. 1.3 million euros net income (after taxes plus agent fees).

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=303938

I couldn't understand the Russian color guy...except when he said Lebron James.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

seems like each time I research the guy he's dunking on another poor, white European guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8do4pmIu2LQ

Quote Originally Posted by mistabeecee41 View Post
    seems like each time I research the guy he's dunking on another poor, white European guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8do4pmIu2LQ
    "That is for invading the Ukraine!"