Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derrick Brown

Derrick Brown

Derrick Brown is making a name for himself in Europe this season. His Russian club, Lokomotiv-Kuban, is 2-0 in the Euroleague in its debut season and one of the top clubs in the VTB United League. And he's top-15 in scoring and efficiency in the Euroleague after two games.

For those who would like to help a former Musketeer out, he's in a poll on the VTB United League website (where I, not so coincidentally, am the English translator:)) for October MVP: VTB United League (English). He's currently in first, but former Kansas man and current CSKA center Alexander Kaun will provide good competition. In his 2nd year in Russia, this would be Brown's first monthly MVP award in the VTB United League. Overall, he's a top-5 player and could very well win the season MVP award if he stays healthy and Lokomotiv finishes 1st in its group.

The team he plays for also runs a fast-paced offense (Marcus Williams and Richard Hendrix are among his teammates). If you check out this Euroleague Top 10 from a few weeks ago, he clocks in at #7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBE_CtZN448.

And even though the Euroleague is still far behind American basketball's best (college or NBA), the video Derrick's team put together after their visit to Belgrade to play Crvena Zvezda two weeks ago is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJpi...=youtube_gdata.

Most impressively, Lokomotiv won that game, its first-ever in the Euroleague.

Voted, done.
    Kudos to DB

Derrick should have stayed at X; might have prolonged his NBA career. I wish him well though.
    Zip'em Up!

still repping X in this summer training video. still has a funny looking jumper. his off hand is almost on the other side of the ball at the start of his shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrLGe...ure=youtu.be&a

I could be wrong, but I think Derrick's going to take another shot at the NBA in a season or two. His teammate in Russia last year, Nick Calathes, is with the Grizzlies now and I could see Derrick doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Derrick should have stayed at X; might have prolonged his NBA career. I wish him well though.
    How so? Derrick would have been the 3rd highest scorer on Xavier's team had he stayed for his senior season (behind Crawford & Tu). Also, I'm pretty sure the 2009 NBA draft class was weaker compared to the 2010 draft class.

I wish he stayed from a Xavier standpoint. We might have had a Final Four Team if he stayed. Perhaps, if he had a huge role in a Final Four run, the exposure on TV would have helped his draft position. But from a NBA standpoint, I think he made the right call. He made close to 2 million dollars during his time in the NBA and got to play in the NBA for 3 years. Not many people can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOWNSUC View Post
    How so? Derrick would have been the 3rd highest scorer on Xavier's team had he stayed for his senior season (behind Crawford & Tu). Also, I'm pretty sure the 2009 NBA draft class was weaker compared to the 2010 draft class.

I wish he stayed from a Xavier standpoint. We might have had a Final Four Team if he stayed. Perhaps, if he had a huge role in a Final Four run, the exposure on TV would have helped his draft position. But from a NBA standpoint, I think he made the right call. He made close to 2 million dollars during his time in the NBA and got to play in the NBA for 3 years. Not many people can say that.
    Yeah, very rarely does an extra year make or break a guy's career. Derrick was at X long enough and rightfully got that money. Postponing a year of making a million or so makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Yeah, very rarely does an extra year make or break a guy's career. Derrick was at X long enough and rightfully got that money. Postponing a year of making a million or so makes no sense.
    With a long run by X, Derrick could have been first round pick instead of second round. Ton of difference in the contract. That's really the only point I was making and selfishly I thought X was a legit team for a Final 4 run. In in the end, it is really about my needs.
    Zip'em Up!

Stumbled across this. Don't understand how anybody can question his decision. He's made millions, played in the NBA for 3 years and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another shot with the way he's been playing in Euroleague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJVyP6SiWY

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    With a long run by X, Derrick could have been first round pick instead of second round. Ton of difference in the contract. That's really the only point I was making and selfishly I thought X was a legit team for a Final 4 run. In in the end, it is really about my needs.
    I used to think the same thing. But I was told by a "good source" that one big reaon he went pro after his junior year is that he shot over 40% from the three that year and he didn't think he could do that the following year. So he thought his stock was at a high.