Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I

Jerry Palm Bracketology

Might as well get a thread started on Palm's bracket forecasts at CBS. The first (real) one came out today. Here's the link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology. Xavier is a 2-seed. The 4 other Big East teams are Providence with a 3-seed, Villanova and Butler with 4-seeds, and Seton Hall playing in with a 12-seed. Four teams seeded in the top 16 teams works for me.
    Last edited by X-man; 12-16-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

A 2 seed sounds right for us as of now. If we want to stay that high, however, we will need to win the Big East. If we can go 14-4 or even 13-5 in the Big East I think we are looking at a top 4 seed which is what I believe the goal should be.

As a side note my personal opinion is that Providence may be the most overrated team in the country currently. Will be interested to see how they fare once they enter BE play. Regardless, the BE as a whole is in fantastic shape currently.

Sophomore
    as long as we finish off the rest of our non conference well, we can go 12-6 in conference and still get a top 4 seed. I would feel very optimistic about our tourney run with a seed that high. I think if we have no more than 8 losses total than we have a good shot at a top 4 seed.

If we're 12-0 in the non-conference, 12-6 in the Big East would actually kind of be a letdown. Strange as that seems given preseason expectations.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    If we're 12-0 in the non-conference, 12-6 in the Big East would actually kind of be a letdown. Strange as that seems given preseason expectations.
    thats true, but then, going in to the big east tournament, we would be 24-6 with more good wins in conference. So, the overall resume would still look great.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    After we beat WFU next Tuesday, we will have wins over two 5-seeds (UC and VD), a 7-seed (WFU), and an 8-seed (Alabama), in Palm's first bracket. Plus lots of opportunities within conference play obviously.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    as long as we finish off the rest of our non conference well, we can go 12-6 in conference and still get a top 4 seed. I would feel very optimistic about our tourney run with a seed that high. I think if we have no more than 8 losses total than we have a good shot at a top 4 seed.
    Yeah I dont think we have to go better than 12-6 in conference to get a top 4 as long as we finish off this non conference strong.

Again we went 9-9 in conference last year and got a 6 seed and that was with a worse non conference resume.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I dont think we have to go better than 12-6 in conference to get a top 4 as long as we finish off this non conference strong.

Again we went 9-9 in conference last year and got a 6 seed and that was with a worse non conference resume.
    right, at this point we have a decent margin for error in conference.

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    right, at this point we have a decent margin for error in conference.
    That's only true if you're happy with a #4 seed. I'd love to see a #2 seed (or dare to dream on a #1 seed) for a much easier path to Houston. Much less room for error there.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    That's only true if you're happy with a #4 seed. I'd love to see a #2 seed (or dare to dream on a #1 seed) for a much easier path to Houston. Much less room for error there.
    Yes, I'd love to see that.

What do you guys think we'd have to go in conference? I'd say 14-4 would give us top 2 if we finish off the offseason undefeated. That would give us 26-4 record heading into the conference tourney.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17