Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Recap: Meet the AD (Indy Event)

Recap:

I did not live tweet (I'm sorry to disappoint the two people who would have followed it). The setting just wouldn't allow me to tweet and be respectful of the people presenting. I'm going off memory.

Dayton: Basically said something similar to what was posted on GoXavier. Would hate to see rivalries like UD end, but Xavier has to do what is best for Xavier going forward. Said the OOC schedule is full the next two seasons, so no UD/X game unless they join Big East in that time frame.

Schedule: Excited about the schedule. Explained that in the future they will try to avoid so many conference games when Students are on break, but that with a round robin schedule this will always be an issue. Floated the idea of playing some early Conference Games in the middle of December so that students would be on campus, and then going back to OOC over break.

Big East Expansion: I took his statement on expansion to mean (and hopefully I will be corrected if I'm wrong) that the Contract with Fox Sports 1 states that there will be 12 teams in the League within five years. He guessed that their would be one Eastern Team and One Western team added eventually. Stated X is not blocking UD from the Big East. But he did note that X and UD compete for students (not just athletes) and X has a big edge right now being in the Big East.

Crosstown: This is X's year for a home game. I asked him to sell me on playing downtown and buying tickets. Made a pretty decent pitch that the more X fans down there the better the environment will be for the team. If we don't sell our seats it won't be a true home game. His overall goal is to get games back on Campus.

Facility upgrades: Noted Cintas is now 14 years old and that we are now competing with six teams that play in NBA arenas. We also discussed renovations to O'Connor and other sports facilities. Believes that Cintas is a great arena, but that "if you know where to look", there are some things that need to be updated/upgraded to keep us competitive.

Enrollment: If I heard him correctly the new freshman class has more kids from outside Ohio than from inside Ohio.

Additional Sports: Noted that we are the only Big East Member without Women's Softball. Also looking at Men and Women's lacrosse as possibilities. Additions will take into account field space and facilities.

____

That's all I remember for now. I may additional information as I remember it. For the other few people that were there. Feel free to chime in.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]
    Facility upgrades: Noted Cintas is now 14 years old and that we are now competing with six teams that play in NBA arenas.
    I appreciate that they're striving to keep Cintas current, but I don't see this as a disadvantage for us. Playing at a nice on-campus arena is significantly better than playing in any NBA arena. I guess I had never thought about the fact that Xavier and Butler are now the only two schools in the league that play all home games on campus (I do not count the Crosstown Clownfest as a home game).

Freshman
    Always great to meet some fellow Muskies and hang out with the esteemed Muskie. To add to Muskie's recap:

I was impressed with Christopher - very well spoken and really comes off as believing in Xavier as a unique institution.

He noted that coaches have already said that the Big East move has opened recruiting doors that would otherwise have been closed but it can't overcome the "#1 hurdle" in recruiting, which is a lack of football. It was surprising to me to hear that recruits in other sports put any importance on the existence of a football program but he was adamant that there is no way that is ever going to change.

Christopher said he thinks X can win national championships in both basketball and soccer. He said that soccer doesn't require public university resources and noted that UMass made the final four a few years ago with 4 scholarship players.

As Muskie noted, Christopher also talked about additional field space and facilities. He seemed equally concerned with providing new space for athletic teams as with providing intramural space for non-athletes. Mentioned a property that abuts I-71 as a possibility.
    Last edited by tmac03; 09-09-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Santa Ono already seems like a very good fit for UC, and a good guy. He is very much involved with the students, and I expect the relationship between Graham and Ono will be MUCH better than with President Williams.

I think the Shootout will return to campuses in the near future....but that is just my hunch.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Sophomore
    I hope so. I do like Santa Ono and he seems to be much more into the sports than Williams ever was. Hope that the game returns back to the campuses next year.

I've heard great things about the new AD and hope to hear them continue.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Santa Ono already seems like a very good fit for UC, and a good guy. He is very much involved with the students, and I expect the relationship between Graham and Ono will be MUCH better than with President Williams.

I think the Shootout will return to campuses in the near future....but that is just my hunch.
    It's my opinion that the rivalry will end before it goes back to campus. Just my $0.02

I can only think of four programs that play in NBA arenas. Which two am I forgetting...(instant rep opportunity here folks)

GTown
    Nova
    Marquette
    St. Johns
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    I can only think of four programs that play in NBA arenas. Which two am I forgetting...(instant rep opportunity here folks)

GTown
    Nova
    Marquette
    St. Johns
    Seton Hall, but Providence plays in an arena with AHL Hockey dates.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Seton Hall? No, but off campus
    DePaul? No, but off campus
    Providence? No, but off campus
    Creighton? No, but (slightly) off campus

I got nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Seton Hall
    There's no NBA team in Jersey. Even when there was, Seton Hall didn't play in their arena.

If Christopher is saying that there are six state of the art arena/NBA-like arenas used in the league, the Prudential Center (Seton Hall) and the Century Link Center (Creighton) I suppose would be the other two.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 09-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.