Page 180 of 272 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 2712
    All I know is that I sweat my ass off at the tribe games this weekend. And the bathrooms at the Thirsty Parrot and Clevelander were well over 110 degrees. Palms trees are sprouting!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    All I know is that I sweat my ass off at the tribe games this weekend. And the bathrooms at the Thirsty Parrot and Clevelander were well over 110 degrees. Palms trees are sprouting!
    Ha!!! Should have been sitting lower deck 3rd base side! Not bad temp and got a very nice breeze from Centerfield last night. :-)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Uh, Paris Accord shouters, what say you? Attachment 2296
    I'd say great news. Much of that is a result of Obama era regulations aimed at the largest problems in carbon emissions.
    Will probably backslide as Trump reverses many of those well thought out attempts to help the future for our grandchildren.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'd say great news. Much of that is a result of Obama era regulations aimed at the largest problems in carbon emissions.
    Will probably backslide as Trump reverses many of those well thought out attempts to help the future for our grandchildren.
    Doubtful. Industry looks to cut expenses (gov't does not) so they will continue to innovate and produce using less energy.

Also, EPA lawsuits are expensive.

Speaking of the EPA. It's amazing how radio silent the media has been about the Animus river spill here in CO. ...

Industry cut expenses by abandoning the Gold Mine without cleaning it up after 125 years. There are approx. 500,000 more mining sites somebody will have to clean up. Thanks Industry.
    2023 Sweet 16

Scientist here. Long time till the season ... so I'll venture as I'm trying to learn this stuff myself at a much higher level. I'll take a first question from good friends MOR or XU87. Science only. Policy is something different.

I'd like to start with it seems there was a long term stable 300 part per million (ppm) carbon dioxide (CO2) level that has risen to around 400ppm since the industrial revolution and continues to rise at 2-3ppm/yr in recent times. The hypothesis is that this fact (is it a fact?) is the result of human activities (this is hypothesis, is it scientifically true?).

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Industry cut expenses by abandoning the Gold Mine without cleaning it up after 125 years. There are approx. 500,000 more mining sites somebody will have to clean up. Thanks Industry.
    Blaming 19th and early 20th century mining companies proves my point. Modern, more sophisticated businesses are not so destructive

Quote Originally Posted by WCWIII View Post
    Scientist here. Long time till the season ... so I'll venture as I'm trying to learn this stuff myself at a much higher level. I'll take a first question from good friends MOR or XU87. Science only. Policy is something different.

I'd like to start with it seems there was a long term stable 300 part per million (ppm) carbon dioxide (CO2) level that has risen to around 400ppm since the industrial revolution and continues to rise at 2-3ppm/yr in recent times. The hypothesis is that this fact (is it a fact?) is the result of human activities (this is hypothesis, is it scientifically true?).
    Ok, what’s the highest PPM of CO2 and corresponding temp?
    What is the mean temp of Earth’s history?
    What should it be?
    Is water vapor a greater GG than CO2
    What’s the difference between scientific law and theory
    Yes, I’ll take a look at that snake oil...

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    What should it be?
    I actually have ALL the correct and undeniable answers to ALL those questions, but it’s getting late and I think I’ll head to bed for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    What should it be?
    Good questions - I’ve already learned some new things myself looking into them. Some initial answers.

Over what geologic time period are you interested in CO2 levels, temperature, and mean temperature? I’d suggest using a period not more than 100 million yrs ago. There were periods when CO2 concentrations were x2 to x10 of what they are today. Temperatures were generally higher at that time as well estimated to be 5-15 degC higher. There was an extreme spike in these quantities some 56 Myrs ago. Maybe you mean over the last 3 Myrs ago or even the last 12,000 years? 150yrs?

I don’t know how science can address the question of “what should the “ideal” mean temperature of earth be?”

Water vapor is indeed very much a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. I am trying to learn better and whether CO2 is important as a modern GG gas. Let’s get there … but first, is there any dispute that human activities are responsible for increased CO2 concentrations? second, we can ask if human activities are responsible for recent rises (if there are rises) in the earth’s temperature. Then we can understand how these are related, if at all.

I’ll call a scientific law a determination that passes the rigors of the scientific method including peer review and for which there is a scientific consensus. A scientific theory is a supposition, a hypothesis that could become a law or found not to be a true representation of nature.