Page 170 of 182 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1817
  1. #1691
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,804
    Half of the worst hurricane seasons happened prior to 1970 and 1887 ranks is the top 4. I think we will all be OK for a long time. Not saying anyone is wrong but maybe our way of getting news in 2018 just makes everyone panic more than they should.

  2. #1692
    Supporting Member muskienick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NCH, OH
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Half of the worst hurricane seasons happened prior to 1970 and 1887 ranks is the top 4. I think we will all be OK for a long time. Not saying anyone is wrong but maybe our way of getting news in 2018 just makes everyone panic more than they should.
    Bad weather (such as hurricanes) are individual events that are not particularly progressive at a steadily increasing or decreasing rate. Global Climate, as measured as the average scientifically collected information around our entire world over a 30-year period of time (air and water temperatures, barometric pressure, precipitation, thickness of polar ice caps, etc.) ARE troubling to those who are not flat-earth believers or science deniers. These DO show steadily increasing average global temperatures, rising sea levels, and diminishing polar ice caps as Dash so eloquently put it a few postings earlier in this thread. If this current decades-long climate trend continues, we old farts may not suffer the consequences, but our children and grandchildren will likely be living in a significantly different world than we are now. Even if you don't believe the 99.99% of the scientists who have studied global climate trends for their entire careers, what's to lose by following their advice and cutting down on the amount of harmful chemicals we put in the air and oceans of the world?

  3. #1693
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,282
    Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    Bad weather (such as hurricanes) are individual events that are not particularly progressive at a steadily increasing or decreasing rate. Global Climate, as measured as the average scientifically collected information around our entire world over a 30-year period of time (air and water temperatures, barometric pressure, precipitation, thickness of polar ice caps, etc.) ARE troubling to those who are not flat-earth believers or science deniers. These DO show steadily increasing average global temperatures, rising sea levels, and diminishing polar ice caps as Dash so eloquently put it a few postings earlier in this thread. If this current decades-long climate trend continues, we old farts may not suffer the consequences, but our children and grandchildren will likely be living in a significantly different world than we are now. Even if you don't believe the 99.99% of the scientists who have studied global climate trends for their entire careers, what's to lose by following their advice and cutting down on the amount of harmful chemicals we put in the air and oceans of the world?
    Wow!!! "30 years"!!!!!!!!!
    That's less of a time frame than Xavier dominating UC. That is some snapshot.
    Let's see. The earth is 4.5 BILLION YEARS old. How many years and in how many places have there been accurate reporting stations? What about the expansive 30 year period between 1940 and 1970 when arguably more garbage was dumped into the air than the last 30 years with industrial smoke, coal burning, huge airplane exhausts, no controlled exhaust cars, blah, blah, blah.
    Just stop it already. The models have been proven wrong time and time again. We didn't even have accurate readings before maybe the last 20 years and ZERO readings before 1870.

    You nattering nabobs of negativism, who are determined to have the US be soaked by a world community who wants to soak the US to solve all of their generated problems, just go ahead and wring your hands, scream in protest and then get in gas powered cars, your air conditioned houses (or more accurately, your heated houses) and pontificate on Twitter and Bookface. How many of you have purchased one of those charlatan Chevy Volts, that Obummer's Department of Energy was giving these huge per vehicle subsidies? I've NEVER seen one of those pieces of crap on the road. NEVER!!
    How many of you have converted your home to wind powered electricity? How many of you, especially in the Midwest, where it's cloudy 65% of the time, have converted your entire house to solar power? How many of you have experienced being torched by a blazing, unforgiving sun because the atmosphere is destroyed by man vs how many of you have been freezing your ass off this winter into Spring outside? When are you going to turn your heat off?. When is this horrible Global Warming going to happen? When are palm trees going to sprout on Lake Erie? When are the oceans going to rise? Are the oceans warmer, or as they were two years ago, COOLER? When does "weather" become "climate"? Was it climate between 1940 and 1970 when things were cooler?

    Unless you have stopped driving, flipping your home heat or air conditioning on-especially you people trying to colonize a desert in ARIZONA that was not created by God with conditions designed for humans to exist without human intervention-, unless you have voluntarily relocated from said desert so it can be returned to God's created natural state with the creatures created by God to live there, then get of your high horse screeching to everyone else and shut the hell up. Your premise is flawed and your words are empty. But I'm sure you sleep well under your heated blanket at night- heated by some source that you allegedly abhor.

    If you haven't done any of those actions above, if you have no status here. Bye.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-15-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  4. #1694
    Hall of Famer paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,545
    Might I suggest a brief look at NASA's map?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  5. #1695
    Hall of Famer paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,545
    Also, investing in solar might be a good investment strategy for a country long term.

    https://thinkprogress.org/china-lead...-31a84ad9eb1d/
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  6. #1696
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,282
    Says a guy who retired in South Carolina. Why? Because it's warmer???Hmmmm. Turn your air conditioner off Paul. Just turn it off.

    Do we have a NASA Map from, say, 1968? Just 50 years ago? Well, where's the longer term data?

    I suggest you also be outraged at the greedy bastards who are using child labor in the Congo to mine the necessary element in any long term battery solution for cars- Cobalt. They are abusing these kids and there are huge environmental impacts with that ish too. Even with the abuse and the environmental impacts, there still won't be enough cobalt to meet the potential demand. So, let's just all stop every human activity of every kind.
    And solar doesn't work in the northern part of the country. Neither does wind. Especially for the factories that provide goods and services and jobs that Libs seem to abhor.

    But go ahead and be outraged at something. Please.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  7. #1697
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    25,177
    Man, if Paul is going to be linking to ThinkProgress, I might start adding links from Americans for Prosperity. :)

  8. #1698
    Hall of Famer paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,545
    Well, I was born and raised in the South. So, that is by cultural affinity (rather than environment) why I chose to live here.

    As to the link, look past the commentary to the statistical data within the article, courtesy of Bloomberg Finance. That's the raw data that's important.

    It doesn't hurt us to try and use whatever renewables that we can. It most certainly would be beneficial to the generations who follow us.
    No matter how much oil or gas we discover and use, no one (even climate change deniers) can escape the reality that they are finite resources.

    Someday, with the billions who inhabit this rock, those finite resources will be depleted. No, not in our lifetime, but that shouldn't keep us from being good stewards for generations unborn. So, you can bitch about renewable energy sources, but they are key to the preservation of our species.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  9. #1699
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,282
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  10. #1700
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,282
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Well, I was born and raised in the South. So, that is by cultural affinity (rather than environment) why I chose to live here.

    As to the link, look past the commentary to the statistical data within the article, courtesy of Bloomberg Finance. That's the raw data that's important.

    It doesn't hurt us to try and use whatever renewables that we can. It most certainly would be beneficial to the generations who follow us.
    No matter how much oil or gas we discover and use, no one (even climate change deniers) can escape the reality that they are finite resources.

    Someday, with the billions who inhabit this rock, those finite resources will be depleted. No, not in our lifetime, but that shouldn't keep us from being good stewards for generations unborn. So, you can bitch about renewable energy sources, but they are key to the preservation of our species.
    But when are the oceans going to flood South Carolina? By the way, anyone who built houses on the Isle of Palms deserves to have the ocean or a hurricane inundate them. Just keep playing that Climate Casino though.
    A
    By the way. I was born and partially raised in Louisville, went to High School in Nashville and lived in Atlanta for 13 years. We chose to move back north. I get crap all the time from my old “Southern friends” about “how could you move from the warm South? What’s wrong with you?” So being born and raised below the Mason Dixon line is no excuse, but I get it.
    But hey. Just go ahead and have even MORE people move South, use up more resources by using more air conditioning, and more water to aquifer a desert but then bitch about using resources. How disingenuous.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •