Page 186 of 272 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2712
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Haleakala IS a touch closer to the equator than Sparkle City.

I'm pretty sure '87 is just kidding, which makes it funny. Pretty sure.
    Hah! You're right about Haleakala. But then again, we've got nothing east of the Mississippi that's over 6,700 ft.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Haleakala IS a touch closer to the equator than Sparkle City.

I'm pretty sure '87 is just kidding, which makes it funny. Pretty sure.
    I am dead serious about the global cooling issues (or at least X-Man thinks I am.)

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I am dead serious about the global cooling issues (or at least X-Man thinks I am.)
    Do you need me to define the word "troll"?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Do you need me to define the word "troll"?
    https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1364379

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Absolutely hilarious.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Thanks, I can always count on you.

"And what did you call me"?
    It's winning time.

Well worth the read if you can get to it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/o...gtype=Homepage
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    i respectfully disagree. extremely flimsy premise and nauseatingly heavy on hysteria. storms are not getting worse by historical standards. the california wildfires were a result of california's negligence not extreme climate.

How do we know what the temperature of the planet was in 1880?

Do we really know what the temperature of the planet is in 2019?

Do we really know what the temperature of the planet is today? Is there a website where we can monitor global temperature day by day?

This whole timeline is less than 1 degree, so it matters. Who says that they know the exact temperature of 1880? I don't think we can even measure the temperature of the planet accurately of 2/19/2019 exactly and perfectly. And I am damn sure we can't compare that with an exact measurement of 2/19/1880.

But yet we continue to throw everything and anything up for grabs because the earth is warming by less than 1 degree since 1880.

It is madness.

Get this even, and I have science to prove it. We are actually living in an Ice Age. I am not kidding. The best science they taught us all as kids is that we are all living in an Ice Age that has lasted 2.5 million years.

And that hasn't changed according to the best science we have. We are living in an interglacial period of an Ice Age that has lasted for 2.5 million years.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

How do we know what the temperature of the planet was in 1880?

Do we really know what the temperature of the planet is in 2019?

Do we really know what the temperature of the planet is today? Is there a website where we can monitor global temperature day by day?

This whole timeline is less than 1 degree, so it matters. Who says that they know the exact temperature of 1880? I don't think we can even measure the temperature of the planet accurately of 2/19/2019 exactly and perfectly. And I am damn sure we can't compare that with an exact measurement of 2/19/1880.

But yet we continue to throw everything and anything up for grabs because the earth is warming by less than 1 degree since 1880.

It is madness.

Get this even, and I have science to prove it. We are actually living in an Ice Age. I am not kidding. The best science they taught us all as kids is that we are all living in an Ice Age that has lasted 2.5 million years.

And that hasn't changed according to the best science we have. We are living in an interglacial period of an Ice Age that has lasted for 2.5 million years.
    For the global mean temperature, I very much like this (web site) which started with funding including from Charles Koch. Here's a brief video showing a founder of that web site when he was pissed because of "climategate" (video) and even tried to use the data to prove there was a "pause" in the upward temperature trend. He started very much a skeptic but he is a scientist. You can dig deep in the web site to see the data and how temperatures in 1880 and 2019 are calculated. Techniques for precise measurements (and other things like astronomical observations) have been used since the mid-1800s and before. Yes, technology advances and indeed the methodology involves computer modelling (and taking into effects such things as urban heat islands etc) but it does include both raw air and water temperature measurements. Other groups do independent data analysis and they agree on the trends. I even found a group that tries calculates these things on a daily basis. It's a lot of work, even if you are a scientist, to find something scientifically well done and to understand what was done. It is certainly not explained clearly in the media especially if your media is biased either left or right. If your skepticism on global warming is based on invalid temperature data and methodology, that can be refuted. Using the oft-quoted 97% of the scientists agree there is human-caused global warming ... the 3% question the human connection part not actual warming part.

Whether the 1ish degree temperature change is significant and important and whether there there should be mandated societal changes ... those are completely different issues. I'm just trying to stand up for my hard working scientific brethren of the 1880s since you asked your questions.
    Last edited by WCWIII; 02-19-2019 at 02:16 PM.